Giving up Wheat

Options
Hi all. Anyone out there ever give up eating food that contains wheat like, bread, pasta, crackers, cookies: basically anything made with flour. I am reading "Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight" and it sounds like an interesting concept. I was just curious if anyone has had any success with it.

Replies

• Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this! being vegetarian means that I have very limited diet already though, so I am unsure about cutting them out completly, however I am trying to eat less. I wish you well with it.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I cut out all things wheat for almost a year due to an intolerance (fell off the wagon a bit during the holidays but trying to get back there) and i mean EVERYTHING with wheat (soy sauce and all) and it made no difference in my weight loss.
  • montlucia
    Options
    I eat less wheat but I don't go mad with it and check food labels all the time. I still want to get some carbs in my diet. There's no need to eliminate anything completely unless you have an intolerance so I wouldn't advise doing that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea for people with wheat sensitivities, like celiacs.

For everyone else, it just makes dieting overly restrictive and creates a potential for a failure point. Can you really say no to this sexy beast for the rest of your life?

mighty-o-filled-570x378.jpg

I know I can't.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

For everyone else, it just makes dieting overly restrictive and creates a potential for a failure point. Can you really say no to this sexy beast for the rest of your life?

I know I can't.

*whimpers*
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, it's a trap.
  • lick_broccoli
    Options
    I have just started to attempt and eliminate wheat and flour. I made this decision after watching a video on youtube by LeanSecrets "Reasons to stop eating wheat". You could check it out. LeanSecrets (with Brenda Leigh Turner) is a great youtube channel.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Wheat is delicious, healthy and good. Eat too much, and you get fatter.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I know I can't.

Is it sticking out it's chocolatey tongue at me??
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I know I can't.

drool !!!!!
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I cut out all things wheat for almost a year due to an intolerance (fell off the wagon a bit during the holidays but trying to get back there) and i mean EVERYTHING with wheat (soy sauce and all) and it made no difference in my weight loss.

The same thing happened to me! My tummy felt better, but my weight did not change because of cutting out wheat.
  • lisadiane41
    Options

I know I can't.

*whimpers*

Yes this desert looks delicious but with someone with a wheat allergy it is torture and they do make things that are gluten free. I eat them all them time. This is the times. If you go into any bakery ask for gluten free stuff they usually have something just as good.
  • lisadiane41
    Options

The same thing happened to me! My tummy felt better, but my weight did not change because of cutting out wheat.

Just as regular food you have to count the calories. Just because there is no wheat in the food/gluten free does not mean you can eat more of it. You have to still count the calories. I have been on a gluten free diet for 2-3 years and when I went off I gained some weight and when I went back on I had to learn to count the calories. I eat everything gluten free because of a wheat allergy. You will notice when you eat smaller portions of the gluten free products. Basically you are eating a lot of rice and corn based stuff, if you are having bread, pizza and pasta. Look into Schar they make great stuff.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    i only give up wheat cuz i'm gluten intolerant, even thn sometimes I slip up. I wouldnt give it up by choice myself. Its hard. U would b surprised how many things have wheat in them
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

I know I can't.

*whimpers*

Yes this desert looks delicious but with someone with a wheat allergy it is torture and they do make things that are gluten free. I eat them all them time. This is the times. If you go into any bakery ask for gluten free stuff they usually have something just as good.

Idk where u live, but where I live, it's not as gluten free friendly
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I avoid wheat for medical reasons and I'm vegetarian, too. It is a MAJOR pain in the butt at times-- especially because nearly all veggie burgers and other meat analogs have wheat in them. There are exceptions, but they are hard to find and usually even more ridiculously expensive than the standard ones. If you're mostly eating whole foods like nuts, beans, and rice you might not miss the wheat much, but if you are used to eating vegetarian meat substitutes, going gluten free will SUCK. If I didn't feel sick after eating too much wheat, I wouldn't avoid it.
  • DaniAni19
    DaniAni19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have just started to attempt and eliminate wheat and flour. I made this decision after watching a video on youtube by LeanSecrets "Reasons to stop eating wheat". You could check it out. LeanSecrets (with Brenda Leigh Turner) is a great youtube channel.

I love Brenda Leigh Turner! We should start a group of people who eat by her principles!

Also, I started following her guidance, including cutting out wheat and flour, and the weight is melting off effortlessly. I feel better, it's only been 3 weeks and I'm down 10 pounds.

P.S. I'm Vegetarian too
  • enigmatickitty
    Options

I know I can't.

I'm not even supposed to eat wheat and can't resist that.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Giving up wheat isn't that bad. The only thing I really miss is sourdough bread. For most everything else, there are substitutes. And that donut???? Doesn't do a damn thing for me. I've never liked them.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I know I can't.

What is that thing?