Exercise Ettiquette (mini rant)

Options
13»

Replies

• j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of girls at my gym that work out with makeup on. I dont mind that but sometimes they would wipe their brow and get makeup on their hands and then they wipe it on the equipment bars and dont clean it after....its really gross :(
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Remember people, bad stuff (ie staph infections) can be transfered via gym & shower equipment. If the gym doesnt provide it carry a spray bottle of disinfectant & a spare towel only for that purpose.

Yeah. Google MRSA (a staph infection that is going around in some gyms). You won't ever not use the disinfectant before you get on a piece of equipment after that.

My bf is highly prone to MRSA and has been hospitalized with it 3 times in the last 5 years. my gym has sanitizer bottles and paper towel about every 10 feet and they are awesome about enforcing it.

Now if they would just enforce the 13 year old guest rule. I am sick of the 8, 9 and 10 years old coming in with mom and dad and playing on the equipment.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is the reason why I won't go to gyms or pools anymore.

Last time I went swimming someone had crapped in the changing rooms, it was smeared all over the floor. Appalling.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The first gym I joined was pretty good. People were considerate, cleaned up after themselves, wiped down the machines. Second gym I went to? Ugh. There was so much ICK on everything and honestly? I never saw anyone wiping ANYTHING down. I spent more time wiping than I did working out.

Blech.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    So I'm just getting into the groove on the treadmill and a really nice older lady gets onto the treadmill beside me. Just as she kicks her treadmill into high gear I'm confronted by the overpowering smell of her very sweet perfume!!! I mean it gave me a instant headache it was so strong. People drive me crazy!! I know that it was not intentional, but you are at the gym where people are running, panting and sweating. Come on!!

Ugh. Yes. Perfume at the gym makes me gag. I'm asthmatic and ALL perfume makes me wheeze (which is why I don't wear it! lol) and while I don't mind if others DO wear it, don't bathe in it. Spritz and go!
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have you said anything to the gym? Sometimes if you don't say anything, nothing will ever get done. Sometimes you have to call people out on the spot. I commute via train into the city every day and I once sat across a lady who had one of those very extra large starbucks cold drinks she was sitting there slurping away....she was done and conveniently put it down next to her and got up....I said, oh hey you forgot your drink!, it was clearly empty...she grabbed it and took it with her. If your gym isn't into being clean, definitely find a new one!
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    It always astounds me that there's only a handful of us who wipe the bikes down after spin class :/

The rest of my gym is mostly clean and tidy though
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    This is the reason why I won't go to gyms or pools anymore.

Last time I went swimming someone had crapped in the changing rooms, it was smeared all over the floor. Appalling.

Urrrgh! what?!? I have no words!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Remember people, bad stuff (ie staph infections) can be transfered via gym & shower equipment. If the gym doesnt provide it carry a spray bottle of disinfectant & a spare towel only for that purpose.

Yeah. Google MRSA (a staph infection that is going around in some gyms). You won't ever not use the disinfectant before you get on a piece of equipment after that.

My bf is highly prone to MRSA and has been hospitalized with it 3 times in the last 5 years. my gym has sanitizer bottles and paper towel about every 10 feet and they are awesome about enforcing it.

As a preventive, you might get him to try a vitamin C infused moisturizer. I know someone who has had repeated infections and he swears by it. Don't know if there is any research backing it up but you could google it.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree with many other posters: you have a terrible gym!!!! This never happens at my gym, and if you crash the weights staff comes over and asks you to not do that. What an awful exercise environment you have!!!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My gym would never allow this to go on.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with many other posters: you have a terrible gym!!!! This never happens at my gym, and if you crash the weights staff comes over and asks you to not do that. What an awful exercise environment you have!!!

While I concur with the fact that filthy gyms are intolerable, what exactly do you mean by 'crash the weights'?
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend used to clean a rather high-end health club and people there were so nasty. The locker rooms were gross and people stole towels like every day and never re racked weights. He spent almost an hour a day putting weights away and then people would just mess them up all over again. My lovely cheap gym is usually quite clean and people are considerate. I have noticed the staff aren't cleaning the locker room as much as they used to...maybe since its winter? I don't really think thats an excuse though...
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Toughen up people. anyone who is offended by "loud weights" aren't usually in the free weight area as it is, so stay in the cardio room with your quiet swiss ball and yoga mat, Do you even lift bro?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump