Nutrient timing and Muscle gaining...

Options
Hey guys, I got my gym membership today! And I've read quite a bit about muscle gaining and macro timing and it's all Brosciencey... So to gain muscle I simply eat 10% over my TDEE on workout days?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There's no definitive answer, but if you follow your idea that will work.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    That will work....assuming that diet includes sufficient protein and your workout includes heavy lifting.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. actually i'd say eat around 10% (or more) over TDEE every day, so you're in an overall calorie surplus.

And stop doing that thing you're doing with your mouth.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. actually i'd say eat around 10% (or more) over TDEE every day, so you're in an overall calorie surplus.

And stop doing that thing you're doing with your mouth.
    lol yyeeeeaaaahhhh
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming majority of people who try to build muscle drop out. Or they do it "on and off" which is only a little better than "not at all." You just got your gym membership today. Concentrate on consistently following a good program to the limits of your ability. Nutrient timing, not so much.
  • billthekill
    Options
    Are you looking to go on a bulking cycle?
    If so, 10% over TDEE everyday sounds pretty good. Make sure you get your 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

You mention about going on a 10% surplus on workout days, what do you plan on doing on the non-workout days. Are you thinking of doing the "Leangains" protocol by Martin Berkhan?
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to go on a bulking cycle?
    If so, 10% over TDEE everyday sounds pretty good. Make sure you get your 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

You mention about going on a 10% surplus on workout days, what do you plan on doing on the non-workout days. Are you thinking of doing the "Leangains" protocol by Martin Berkhan?

are you TRYING to make things more cmplicated for the newbie?
  • billthekill
    Options
    Not at all.

My advice was to eat 10% above TDEE and get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

How is that complicated?
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hey hey hey... It's ok, I'm not confused, I'm just wondering best macro ratio for muscle gain would be? 30/40/30?
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    So as far as working out goes, I plan on doing the 5x5 routine... yes or no?
  • billthekill
    Options
    30/40/30 will be OK.
    But,if you want really good advice, I would suggest you go to bodybuilding.com

This is a good place to start:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Bodybuilding.com has 100x better advice for lifting weights than this site has to offer.
  • billthekill
    Options
    So as far as working out goes, I plan on doing the 5x5 routine... yes or no?

5x5 is friken awesome. Good Choice.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    30/40/30 will be OK.
    But,if you want really good advice, I would suggest you go to bodybuilding.com

This is a good place to start:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

^ Check that thread above, it's excellent.

You can also read this thread which is basically pulling (partially) from the above thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Bodybuilding.com has 100x better advice for lifting weights than this site has to offer.

The nutrition forums overall have several people who have a good understanding so as a general population I would agree, but there are also people here who are quite well informed.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail on my part but I'll leave my statement as is since it's true. =)