Eating on the Road

Options
rpp223
rpp223 Posts: 746 Member
I know this topic probably has come up before, but what are some good options to eat when traveling?

Replies

• patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Don't eat any dressing, I used my whole days calories at lunch today!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If you mean traveling within the US, this is the one time when chain restaurants are your friend. Look up nutrition info for several different chains and make a list of good choices at each of them. When you get where you're going, chances are there will be at least one of the restaurants nearby. Applebee's, for instance, has a menu of dinners that are under 550 calories, Ruby Tuesday's has a Fit n' Trim menu, even Denny's has Fit Fare. If it's all that's available, you can even put together reasonably healthy meals at fast food joints if you do your research in advance.

Planning ahead is key. Decide what you'll have before you get there, and it's easier to resist that super cheesy deluxe burger with fries that looks so good in the menu picture.

If there's no info available, try to stick to items where you can estimate the calories yourself or that you know probably fit within your goals: grilled meats, veggies, salad with fat-free dressings, fruit, plain baked potato, clear soups.
  • rpp223
    rpp223 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice . . . thank you for the help
  • nondomesticgoddess
    Options
    Try to book hotels close to an upscale grocery with a good deli section. They will often have tasty roasted chicken, veggie sides (Broccoli or Bean Salads), and a good salad bar. Consider packing a cooler with lean lunchmeats, precut veggies, yogurts or hummus and pita pockets. Have a good trip!
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you're flying pack a brownbag lunch so the airport eats are less tempting. Plus it saves money! Bananas, jerky, nuts, trail mix, peanut butter sandwich or crackers with an individual pack of nut butter or laughing cow wedges don't need refrigerated either. Remember to pack some paper towels to assemble any foods in air since the tray tables are pretty gross.
  • beachpoodles
    beachpoodles Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some of my choices are not always ideal but with in my calories. I travel at least once a month and sometimes its to remote areas where there is not much around other than chains off exits.

Most dine in places will accomidate salad options - if you ask. And I have considered keeping my own dressing for moments that I need to dine in.

Hotels I stay usually have a pantry with Lean Cuisine options.

Fast food
    ....Subway - a staple, Wendys - love their chilli and salads, Chik fil A has low calorie salad options, Hardees is offering a low calorie cod sandwich (never had it)