Can't seem to start exercising ;-/

Options
Everyday I say I'm going to work out but, I never do it!!!

Replies

• felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i'm so with you on this... every excuse in the book
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    you can eat more when you exercise. it is what makes me do it.. i eat some or most of my exercise calories back. I get almost 800 extra when i do. LIke today.. I didn't exercise and I miss those calories so i can eat more.

I found after a week of making myself.. it got easier...and it is like not dieting at all. (also do something that won't take you too much time...i work out right at home..so no travel time..just one hour).
  • PowerShelf
    PowerShelf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    its a habit. if you can hit 21 days exercise without missing one, it gets a lot easier. After that, it can be difficult to stop >.<
    Also the sense of accomplishment is awesome.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can say this much: There's lots of days that I've skipped my work-out becaue I'm too tired, worn-out, in a bad mood, the planets aren't aligned, my cat needs me, etc. I almost always regret it the day after and wish I'd done it. But never have I done a work out and felt worse after it (barring injuries of course, which I'm so far keeping to a minimum). You have to make it a priority and just do it. After awhile, like PowerShelf said, it's a habit and you start to feel fidgety on days when you really can't work out.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    One trick I've used to get going is to put on all my workout clothes when I wake up. Then at some point I get my wrist watch on. Then put my hair up. Then at some point shoes go on. Then I force myself to get up and go toward the front door or wherever I'm going to work out in the house without giving myself time to think do I want to, should I wait an hour, blah blah.

The only thing I make sure of is that I had something to eat within the past three hours or so and I make sure to wait a bit to let it settle. Other than that, no excuses.
  • pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I find it easier to break it into little pieces. 3 ten minute walks, 6 five minute walks. It all adds up! Start with baby steps, literally!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You have to just decide to do it......and do it. No one can do it for you. Its worth it. And really...it isn't long before you will WANT to do it....I never would have beleived it, but its true. Just do it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. It's really hard to find an excuse to not go for a walk, because all you need is a pair of working legs. Build the habit with daily walks, and then switch to 'real' workouts. Worked well for me, it may work for you too. I now hit the gym six times a week, 3 cardio, 3 weights.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    And really...it isn't long before you will WANT to do it....I never would have beleived it, but its true.

This is true, too.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I started with walking. It's really hard to find an excuse to not go for a walk, because all you need is a pair of working legs. Build the habit with daily walks, and then switch to 'real' workouts. Worked well for me, it may work for you too. I now hit the gym six times a week, 3 cardio, 3 weights.

This x 100!!! It's all I did to lose the weight besides count calories. I think sometimes people think they have to get right into the very physical workouts and you don't when you are just starting out. Small steps if you need to are good. Now I go to the gym too.
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Definitely can be a challenge to get it in everyday - start with small goal - 3 x's a week - even 30 minutes worth and then increase a bit each week.
    Find a workout buddy - meet them at the gym or at home or for a walk or workout video- helps if you have someone else on board with you!
    Find something you really enjoy doing - I LOVE Zumba - the music, the dancing - it goes fast and it is a real calorie burner!
    Switch it up - go for a walk, try yoga, take a dance class, learn to rock climb, play basketball, go swimming - something that is close to home or work and easily accessible.
    Taking aerobic classes is great - you get to know others in the class and have their support and encouragement to keep going.

It's just getting out the door that can be the tricky part - put your exercise on your calendar like any other activity - you are worth the time and effort and it will not only help you to lose weight faster - you'll tone up and feel better inside and out!

Best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • 199orBUST
    199orBUST Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Put some good music in your ears and go for a walk. Better yet, a run. This will cause the body to release "endorphins".
    Endorphins trigger a positive feeling in your body. With this energized view it will be easier to graduate to an exercise routine.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You have to just decide to do it......and do it. No one can do it for you. Its worth it. And really...it isn't long before you will WANT to do it....I never would have beleived it, but its true. Just do it.

^^^^THIS!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always say that I never regret working out... but I always regret it when I don't. I tell myself that almost every morning when I get up to go to the gym at around 4:45 a.m. And I'm always in a good mood when I'm done. And that mood carries me through most of the day :)
  • cat_pro70
    cat_pro70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I didn't start exercising, I started playing! With both a Wii and an Xbox with Kinect in the house, I was moving and jumping around more than I thought I would, and having a great time doing it. Then I moved to some games specifically for exercise and then I started using videos. Now I have worked out almost every day and am in phase 2 of JMBR. Just find something fun to do to get moving and then mix in other exercises and you'll be on your way.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS!!!!! :bigsmile:

yep! Something I'm trying to get out of the habit of is doing things "tomorrow" If I think of doing something or going to the gym or what ever it may be.. EVEN if it's in the middle of the night I'll at least put my hrm on and turn on the music n dance for a bit, 5-10 minutes minimum, or do a few cheater pushups or run in place for a minute or do some squats etc. ANYthing is better than nothing. and doing little workouts throughout the day does make a difference, yes full workouts are better, but if you can find something that you find tolerable and start doing it a few times a day it's a start!
  • queens2014
    queens2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to start something with a finish line....rather than just forcing yourself to go to the gym aimlessly everyday, try something like the 30DS it gives you a finish line to get you motivated and by the time you get to the end of 30 days exercise will be an everyday habit :)
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Do it, exercise, move, jump, tumble, who cares how you start, what you start with, just get you *kitten* moving. Do it, NOW!!
  • jewelsrn55
    Options
    I don't exercise on the days I work. I work 12 hour shifts. But I have finally adopted the habit on my days off and feel kinda sluggish if I don't do something. I've been bicycling and doind Jillian Michael's 30 day shred cause it only takes 25 min.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest obstacle.

Sometimes I have to ask my MFP friends to virtually poke me with a cattle prod to get me off my @$$.
    But I eventually get up & do it 5 out of my 6 goal days a week.