Just counting calories.. should I add in exercise now?

Options
So for the last month I have just been counting calories and I've lost almost 10 pounds. I'm extremely happy with that but I'm wanting to lose a little more through out a months time. I do 30 Day Shred once in a blue moon and walk on the treadmill every so often but I get so winded I keep telling myself I'll start exercising once I lose a little bit more weight. I'm ready to exercise now though! Is it even possible to continue losing weight by only counting calories? Any advice on how I should approach the treadmill? (What speed, where to start, how long, etc.) I also own a Sauna and plan on sitting in that after my exercise to help aide with sore muscles.. What's your average monthly weight loss? (With calorie counting alone or with counting and exercise)

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    10 pounds just from calorie counting?! Nice! :D Exercise is always better of course, you will look leaner and thinner :D
  • julieann89
    julieann89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking too!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I lose about 10 lbs per month, counting cals and exercise :) I look forward to my workouts (especially kickboxing classes!) and since I'm trying to get fit and lose weight - the exercise component is necessary ;) On the treadmill, I started by upping the speed till I couldn't walk any faster (6 - 6.5 km/h), then moved to a good jog (8 - 9.5 km/h). Over time, you'll be able to jog/run for longer and faster too ^^ I do a walk/jog combination of 5 mins each for a total of about 20 mins or so.

I'm 5'4", started at 181 lbs (now 155 lbs) and I eat about 1200-1300 cals a day. If I exercise, then I eat more (or indulge a bit).
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm eating between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. I get on my treadmill every other day. Weekdays I go for 30 minutes (various speeds and inclines anywhere from 2.5mph to 4.5mph and from 0 to 6 incline). And I'm on day 5, level one of the 30 day shred. I lost almost 8 pounds in Jan. just from counting calories and the treadmill so I'd say that you're doing just fine! :wink:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 lbs by just calorie counting. At that point, I didn't feel so out of breath, and I felt more ready to add exercise. I started with walking because it was easy and cheap. Good for the heart, too. I slowly started adding other things after that.

So - if you feel you need to lose a few more to have the 'pep' for exercising, no one will fault you for it. But if you want to start with something simple - I highly recommend walking. You will be surprised just how fast you will see an improvement on how you feel.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I count and exercise, 10 was my average a month. I started out at 196 and I'm 127 now, I'm 5'3. My goal is 125. Last month I lost 5 lbs, that was my lowest in a month, but I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have much of anything left to lose :)
  • leeleeluvs
    leeleeluvs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds just by counting calories is great! Exercise will help the weight come off faster, provided that you eat the same amount of calories that you're eating now but really it is all about what you are eating. You burn calories just by being awake. So if you keep within your daily calorie allotment the weight will still come off eventually - even if you don't do a shred of exercise.

Exercise generally gives you more energy and you feel better - and like I said the weight will come off a little faster. But don't push it - do what you can do now. As time goes on you will get stronger and you will eventually be able to do more exercising.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how I should approach the treadmill? (What speed, where to start, how long, etc.)

First 2.5 months I lost 25lbs. Was counting calories in and burned. Then I stalled for the past 5 weeks (didn't gain, didn't lose) -- also stopped counting.
    Going to try to get back on track

Anyways, I suggest you start slow and gradually increase.

Complete the run at something you can easily finish, then increase over time.

Try different forms of running. I'll run 3-4 times a week and randomly decide what to do --
    8 60 second runs with 90 second walks between
    10 minute run, followed by mid intensity intervals
    20 minute run at constant pace
    Maintain constant HR for as long as possible (pace drops over the run, just trying to maintain a hr)

Or just try the couch to 5k program

I keep track of my times for every run -- the goal is to try to push yourself

For example the 8 second runs I've done at 8.5MPH with 3.3MPH walks. If I complete it I up my speed for the next time
    10 minute run I've done at 6.0 MPH. Then I just walk or do a couple 6.0MPH intervals for extra calories (I don't track the times/speed on the excess)
    20minute run I've done at 5.2MPH
    170HR I've kept up for 30 minutes (starting at 6.0MPH, ending at 4.3MPH)
    I also do all my running with a 3% incline (just decided a slight incline is a good thing)
  • jon1289
    jon1289 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No need to join a gym. Just go out there and start exercising. If you haven't run before then start with some short walks, then long walks building up to walks where you are for a time a little out of breath. Then when you feel ready, go out and have a run. Best not to set yourself a goal that is too difficult to begin with. And don't worry about what people may think when they see you. Who is to say you aren't just finishing off a 5 mile run!

From not running at all about 2 years ago I am now training towards my first half marathon and ran 10 miles for the first time in my life on Monday.

You * can * do this. Remember, short runs to start with and you will be surprised how quickly you begin to increase your distance and increase the time out running.

Good luck :)
  • jon1289
    Options
    Oh! Forgot to say, The Runkeeper App is fantastic. Free and a great way to track your fitness workouts. Not just for running either. I have found that that in itself is very motivating.
  • julieann89
    julieann89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and advice! I think my biggest problem is that when I use the treadmill for only 20 minutes I feel like I haven't done enough. I gotta start somewhere though!
  • jon1289
    Options
    When I first went to the gyn the instructors would say run (but it may be walk depending on your fitness) to a point where it's difficult to hold a conversation. In other words a bit sweaty and out of breath. They recommended 45 mins cardiovascular exercise and resistance. By that 15 mins cardio with reps, then a further 15 mins and reps and a final 15 mins and reps.

Now I just run as the gym is too expensive but really enjoying the exercise.
  • violetcoyne
    Options
    I do beginners yoga. It helps and I don't feel over done after. But I do feel good.