Fellow teachers?

Options
I was wondering how other teachers have put in their activity level...light active? I put sedentary, but the more I think about it the more I realize how much I chase after children :) What do you think?

Thanks!

8.8 pounds down!!! :happy:

Replies

• MissMouse85
    MissMouse85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I put lightly active... if you're like me you're on your feet most of the day (and chasing kids definitely counts as exercise!)

Congrats on your weightloss, and good luck!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Lightly active works for me. I have orthopedically impaired kids so I do alot of pushing wheelchairs and lifting kids during the day. I think if you teach little ones, that works. A secondary teacher may not be as active.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not a school teacher but have taught church nursery and sunday school for years. I would say the lower the grade level the higher the activity level. Give yourself at least the light activity
    .Hats off to K-2 teachers:flowerforyou: I don't know how Y'all do it everyday. I only do pre -K once a week for an hour and they wear me out!
  • wheatable1
    Options
    I put lightly because I am a resource teacher and iIam up and down these halls all day long getting my different groups. I don't know any classroom teacher that has time to sit! :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I put lightly active also. I figure that I walk around the room a lot and only really sit on my prep and at lunch.
  • mweeks
    mweeks Posts: 4
    Options
    I teach 7th grade and I set mine as lightly active also. I teach math and am constantly moving from student to student helping with their work. Not only that, I rarely sit down during the day so I would say lightly active would work for any teacher.
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I teach 4-year-old Kindergarten.
    I've been asked several times how I sit at my desk. (It is covered w/my students' creations they have made for me:heart: )
    My answer? I don't. I never have time to sit! (as "Wheatable1" mentioned)
    I have my activity level at "active", because I dance and play right along with them :happy:
    Not to mention we are on the basement level (in an old school) so there are lots of trips up and down stairs/hallways.
    Congrats on your progress already and best of luck to you on the rest of your mission!!!
    :flowerforyou: T
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    I agree that you are the very least in the light-active level. NOT sedentary. I nanny for three toddlers twice a week and teach adults another two days a week and both jobs have me on my feet and on the go almost constantly. It means you burn more calories without exercise then folks who sit a lot for their jobs, I am so glad this is so because that means I get to eat just the teensiest bit more and I LOVE to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! I have changed it to lightly active. I am at a consolidated school, which means we have Pre-K-12 grade. I teach Spanish so I have a HUGE range of ages! The high school students need Spanish as a subject to get into college, while the younger ones take it as a connections class. My day goes from Kindergarten to 10th grade...so I have my hands full! Don't know why I was thinking sedentary...maybe because I was sitting while doing it...haha, who knows. Thanks again!!
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    Options
    I run around chasing infants and toddlers - but my trainer suggested to still put seditary so you always come out a little ahead - if you eat a little more than the calories suggested its ok because you know you do more activity than what MPF thinks - it has helped for me and was an almost 300 calorie difference for my goal.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another forum, but I put down lightly active. I do walk around and monitor my student's progress when the work in groups or take a test, but I do some sitting too. I wonder which grade level teachers get the most exercise? I wonder if a study has ever been done....*shows she really is a nerd*

Shannon
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm a secondary teacher, and don't sit. I don't have a desk, and teach in two different classrooms. I chose "lightly active," since I do stay on my feet all day and, when I wore a pedometer, walked more than five miles a day just checking in with folks. Is there a "social butterfly" setting?