Calories for toning and defining muscle...

Options
Many people talk about bulking, doesn't seem like something I wanna do, I don't wanna get bulky I just want to be toned and lean. Should I still eat a calorie deficit? Or just eat maintenance calories? Also what would be the best macro ratio to get the muscles showin' I was thinking 30% carb 40% protein 30% fat at about 1900-2000 calories

Replies

• USMCConditioning
    Options
    I'm not sure about the whole calorie counting and % between nutrition, but i know that if you want to define and get lean, you do low weight, hi-reps. Then again, i could be wrong there also, and just make sure you get a good amount of protein in you after working out. I usually get 20-40 grams of protein in me after doing cardio + weight lifting.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Actually, unless you start eating at a calorie level to gain...you won't bulk up. If you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will tone, but not bulk
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to lose weight AND tone, then do calorie deficit and high protein. The low weight, high reps was right for toning. Also, a bit of higher weights and low reps will still not get you bulky. It would take a while for that to happen, and you'd probably have to lift some pretty heavy weights to bulk up. Start low and work your way up. If you're not wanting to lose weight, and just wanting to gain muscle, then definately do maintenance calories, maybe even a little more. I would start at maintenance and see what happens. When you build muscle, you'll burn more calories. Add calories if needed. :)