Zumba Skeptic

Options
1235»

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't give a cr*p if there is a lost in translation moment going on here - since when is it acceptable to use any kind of term for someone with a disability in this way?

A few of you are suggesting that the words 'spastic' and 'spaz' are commonly used in the US, but would the original post be any less offensive if the words were exchanged with 'person with cerebral palsy'?

To suggest that when doing zumba you look like you have a physical disability is crass beyond belief. How would you feel if you had a disability and found people thought it perfectly acceptable to talk like this? If the comparisons were with a particular race or religion being used then this thread would have been shut down within minutes.

Think before you post people!!!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Okay sorry for offending any of you or MANY of you I should say, but I only post this question so someone can correct me cause I'm sure you are not all into what looks to me like glorified aerobics.

I've seen good latin dancing, and good aerobics classes but this looks like neither and this was the 3rd video I found. So please show me some good video of this thing you are all loving so much? Otherwise I can only think that the appeal is that it's done to very very good music? Played it without sound so I don't know that's all I can think, it just looks odd.

I don't want to look like this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ksfpQSrg0

Funny how the one person who "should" have rythm is the only one who doesn't?

IDK. It just does NOT look like something I want to be doing. (only interested because it seems to burn lots of cals. and lot's of my "friends" list do it and they don't seem like spaz's?)

I agree with you. Zumba looks like it sucks and therefore everyone should just stop going to Zumba class.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I do it because I think it is fun. Not everything is for everyone though, and that is perfectly acceptable.
  • jenlatham
    jenlatham Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really have fun in live classes, and usually burn 700-800 (taking 20% off the HR monitor so as not to overestimate). But man is it hard on my knees and Achilles. Wish I could do it more often.
  • sniker_doodles
    Options
    I am Mexican and the dancing the do is good for burning calories. its a lot of dancing that I normally do.
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba 6 1/2 years ago after back surgery. At first I felt silly and didn't know any of the moves, but I got a good sweat on, I had fun, and I felt like a million bucks. I've tried several types of aerobic exercise, but never stuck with anything; if it's not enjoyable, I just won't do it.

6 1/2 years (and 55 lbs later) I am a Zumba/ZumbAtomic fitness instructor. I absolutely LOVE what I do!! I have a solid following of folks (both genders) who amaze me every class. I constantly have my participants come up to me after class and tell me how much fun they had, how great they feel, and how much they love it.

The instructor on the video you saw was showing very basic movements on a news program while still conversing with the host; not at all a good representation what a real Zumba class looks like.

Try these ones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sAq1GK2JL0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqkPr63co6s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOmw3WeVfec

Every instructor is different, with their own particular 'flavour', so every class is different. Some instructors are very technical stepwise with less aerobic energy, some loosen up on the technicality of the steps to really amp up the energy. It's all personal preference. Zumba fanatics have are a real 'family', which is also part of the allure.

That being said, it's not for everyone. I don't particularly like running, some people love it. I love to dance and act crazy. Zumba allows me to do it, get a great workout (I burn between 500-700 cals per hour), and make an income all at the same time!! I can honestly say it is one of the best things that has ever happened to me!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't give a cr*p if there is a lost in translation moment going on here - since when is it acceptable to use any kind of term for someone with a disability in this way?

A few of you are suggesting that the words 'spastic' and 'spaz' are commonly used in the US, but would the original post be any less offensive if the words were exchanged with 'person with cerebral palsy'?
    The words are just not viewed the same in the US. I don't know why there is such a difference... maybe people in the US never referred to people with CP as "spastics," thus never giving it that particular connotation of being a disability-based word (unlike, say, "retard," which I think most people from the US would react to poorly). It is just sincerely not thought of that way, much like words like crazy, dumb, or lame are used easily without the thought that they could also refer to differently-abled people.
  • Pickypeggy
    Options
    I love zumba. I go to three classes a week. You get out of it what you put in. For me is has meant the difference between sitting and watch tv to getting out and driving 50 miles just to take a class. I not only get exercise but I get out of my box to sort of speak.
  • ravensmistress
    Options
    I've been skeptical in regards as to how many calories zumba burns. I've been doing some research and I found this. Hopefully it's helpful to others who are as paranoid as I am about assuming they are burning more calories than they actually are.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/2813/
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

The words are just not viewed the same in the US. I don't know why there is such a difference... maybe people in the US never referred to people with CP as "spastics," thus never giving it that particular connotation of being a disability-based word (unlike, say, "retard," which I think most people from the US would react to poorly). It is just sincerely not thought of that way, much like words like crazy, dumb, or lame are used easily without the thought that they could also refer to differently-abled people.

I'm from the U.S. and this was my experience of it also (what was said in the second quote).
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Funny how the one person who "should" have rythm is the only one who doesn't?

Not sure what you mean, can you please explain?