pain medication

vrdz3215
vrdz3215 Posts: 493
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I am hoping that someone can answer this question for me. I have an abscessed tooth that absolutely kills ( I am having it extracted in 2 weeks) and the dentist recently put me on Lortab for pain. I have taken them sparingly, but for those of you who have had an abscess understand the pain that ensues with it. So that being said I have taken one a day after work for the past three days, and I feel constipated ( I know TMI) I was wondering if this could be a contributing factor? I take fiber and normally do not have any problems with that normally so I was wondering if that may be the cause? Any one have a similar situation? I only have to take it for a couple of weeks before I get the tooth pulled and I will be good to go....Anyone?

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    A lot of pain medications cause constipation, I would suggest taking some Docusate along with it (docs usually suggest that with pain meds-it's otc). You can always ask the phamacist for advice, but it should be ok to take your lortab then 2 hrs late ibu if the pain is really bad. That is what they usually suggest. Just remember that it's hard on your stomach and if you have ulcers, etc. that is a bad idea. I used to be a Pharmacy Tech and I remember them usually suggesting this, but it's good to get advice from the folks that went to school for a really, really long time.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Well it is a narcotic; constipation is a common side effect. I usually tell patients to drink a lot of water, make sure they get plenty of fiber, exercise if they can (walking is good), and if that doesn't help they can try a mild laxative, like a softener. Your doctor or pharmacist can advise you what's best for you.

Good luck - hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    I don't know about Lortab specifically, but I do know a lot of painkillers an cause constipation. I think drinking more water can help.
    I'm sorry about your tooth, an abcess is a horrible thing.

Take care,

Erika

Edit: Beaten to it!
  • Ditto. I would have to read the handout the pharmacist gives with the meds but probably. Lots of painkillers have that effect, Adding to the misery of being in a lot of pain in the first place. Get better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Yes! I ended up in the ER after my gall bladder removal surgery because they failed to mention that the pain killers would cause consitpation. I thought I had a freaking hernia and could hardly breath and went to the ER. 8.5 hours and $150 later I found out I was full of crap! :laugh: No joke though because if it gets too bad you might need Dr's assistance. I took Milk of Magnesia but now if I get constipated I have been drinking an herbal laxative tea - I use Yogi Brand Get Regular but any tea with Senna Leaf will be effective. It doesn't give me that nasty gurgly tummy that Magnesia does. Good luck! I HATE being constipated! :sick:
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Tks for the advice yall! I will have to try that tea AwmyLoLo...so far I have kept up my regular diet and exercise, ( I did miss my long run this week, but that was due to rain) I cant wait for these 2 wks to be up so I can get this tooth out of me, I have a high tolerance for pain but a toothache is the WORST !!!!! Thanks again!
  • Yes, Yes, and YES. Any type of narcotic like that causes constipation. Best thing is go get some stool softners drink lots of fluids. :D
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    If you have an abcessed tooth...try gargling with warm salt water to draw out the infection...yes, narcs are constipating...take the stool softeners
This discussion has been closed.