WHATS YOUR FAV HEALTHY MEAL??

Options
What is every ones favorite healthy meal???? i am good with pre making my breakfast and lunch ....but when it comes to actual hot home cooked food ....i got nothing ....soooo post your favorite meal and a pic of it so i can start testing some of these delicious healthy meals i keep hearing about!!!!

Replies

• Calicupcake
    Options
    I personally love vegan cauliflower pizza, I found a super yummy recipe online from recipe girl, whenever I need a new healthy recipe that's usually where I go ...it tastes similar to pizza, I used daiya cheese and tofurkey pepperoni and an egg substitute intstead since I try to make mainly vegan meals, and my meat loving boyfriend loved it... A very delicious and healthier substitute for pizza since it is all veggie based... :)
  • Magoo64
    Magoo64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wish I had seen this BEFORE dinner. I would have posted a pic! Tonight we had lettuce-wrapped turkey tacos. It is at the top of my list for flavor and nutrition and my kids love them. Here is the general recipe:

- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
    - 1 packet taco seasoning, or if you are like me, I make my own - chili powder, cumin, coriander, dried onion, touch of salt.
    Brown turkey, add seasonings and 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until water is mostly absorbed.

- large lettuce leaves such as red leaf, butter, romaine or iceberg
    - salsa
    - corn
    - Black beans
    - avocados
    - low-fat Mexican blend cheese
    - fresh tomatoes, chopped
    - cilantro if you like it.

Using one lettuce leaf as your taco shell, stuff with turkey and other ingredients. Fold over and eat! They are a bit messy, but fun to eat!
  • holdertc
    holdertc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
    Meat of any kind and salad.
  • kmk_natasha
    Options
    Grilled chicken and broccoli, or a salad with Old Bay shrimp.
  • happypath101
    Options
    A little bit of olive oil in a frying pan. Add a can of rinsed chickpeas and stir. Add in garlic, roasted red peppers (slivered), sundried tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, whatever floats your boat. I like to keep it going in the pan until it's starting to carmelize a little. Have it on whole wheat pasta or brown rice or just as is. (I have eaten it straight out of the pan on several ocassions.) Not only is it healthy, it's cheap, fast, and easy.
  • happypath101
    Options
    Wish I had seen this BEFORE dinner. I would have posted a pic! Tonight we had lettuce-wrapped turkey tacos. It is at the top of my list for flavor and nutrition and my kids love them. Here is the general recipe:

- 1 packet taco seasoning, or if you are like me, I make my own - chili powder, cumin, coriander, dried onion, touch of salt.
    Brown turkey, add seasonings and 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until water is mostly absorbed.

- salsa
    - corn
    - Black beans
    - avocados

Using one lettuce leaf as your taco shell, stuff with turkey and other ingredients. Fold over and eat! They are a bit messy, but fun to eat!

I'm totally trying this. Thanks!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options

- salsa
    - corn
    - Black beans
    - avocados

SUCH a great idea! love Mexican food!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    greek salad (or any salad) with chicken done in the george foreman and topped with salsa.

OR

stuffed eggplant/courgettes

OR

temaki zushi - basically sushi but make as you eat. so you can put a teeny bit of rice, some lean meat and fillings etc in a square of seaweed, fold it, and nom it.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    grilled/baked chicken with brown rice, and broccoli and/or cauliflower. usually with some lite honey mustard dipping sauce :]
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Baked salmon (or sole), string beans blanched, and a sweet potatoe :)
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash! I usually make a sauce while it's baking (400 degree oven, cut in half & deseed, olive oil on the inside, put face down in a baking pan, 40 minutes in oven) that is mostly more veggies like sauteed mushrooms, bellpeppers, onions, zucchini, squash or anything you have that would be good. Also some kind of meat if I'm feeling like I want it to taste even more like spaghetti. Meatballs, sausage, straight up meat sauce, or chicken. Sooooo filling!
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    1.Veggies egg white omlette.
    1egg
    1/2c egg whites.
    1/4c chopped mushroom
    1/4c chopped green pepper
    1/4c chopped onion.
    1 slice pepperjack cheese.
    1 slice high fiber bread.
    .5Tbsp olive oil
    First heat skillet add olive oil and veggies. Cook till veggies are soft then add the cheese to it melts all over the veggies. Mix egg and egg whites and cook into omelette. dump the cheesy veggies into the omelette and enjoy with a slice of dry bread.

1 apple
    1tbsp peanut butter
    1/2c fat free cottage cheese
    Just cut the apple up and eat it with the peanut butter. I put pepper on the cottage cheese and eat it.

3. Lemon pepper salmon, grilled broccoli and garlic mashed potatoes.
    Salmon filiet.
    1 TBSP olive oil
    1-2c broccoli
    1 russet potato
    1/4c milk (2%)
    1/2 tbsp REAL butter.
    1/2 lemon
    how ever much pepper you want.
    This is a messy meal but so good. 1 pan put 1/2tbsp olive oil. Season salmon with fresh lemon and pepper. In another pan 1/2tbsp olive oil and the broccoli. Your going to cook the broccoli till its soft but kind of krispy if that makes since. LOL You should know how to make a mashed potato. I like to add garlic salt.
  • ljnftw
    ljnftw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My sons all wrestle so we eat a lot of higher protein/low fat meals. One of our favs is Swai with lemon caper sauce and quinoa pilaf.

Swai is a very mild white fish that currently is very cheap (bought 2.5 pounds frozen for $6.99 last month.)

Swai with lemon caper sauce
    4 oz Swai fillet
    Morton Nature's Seasons 25% Less Sodium Seasoning Blend
    Panko
    Olive oil

Capers
    Lemon juice
    Corn starch

(I am a guy. I do not use measurements but I think you all can figure it out. If not start with about 5-15 capers, 2 TBSP lemon, 1 tsp starch per fillet then adjust per your tastes.)

Season fillets with Nature’s Seasons (not too much the capers are salty.) Lightly coat in panko. Sear in pan with olive oil. Cooks in minutes. To make even lighter skip the panko and bake until firm and not quite flaky (it will continue to cook and will become flaky.)

Add capers to pan to warm. Add lemon juice mixed with corn starch to pan allow to slow boil. If it thickens too much add more lemon, if too thin add a little more starch mixed with lemon or water (if there is already enough lemon for your taste.)

Quinoa pilaf – Use your favorite pilaf recipe (or find one on the web) using quinoa instead of rice. I make sure mine has chick peas for their nutritional value and nuts (like slivered almonds) and lots of veggies (zucchini, eggplant, onion, peppers, carrot, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, bok choy, etc.)
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would 100% recommend the Hairy Dieters cookbook!! It's absolutely fantastic and has loads of ideas for healthy dinners, which are so tasty and you wouldn't know are "diet" foods.
  • hww51
    hww51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are good for you, satisfy your carb and sweet craving and 1/2 cup of baked sweet potato is only 90 calories. I bake for 4-6 minutes in the microwave, peel, mash, add salt and pepper and if I have the spare calories add a TBSP or 2 or low fat sour cream. 1/2 cup is a great on it's own or cut in half for a side with meat or fish.
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options

- salsa
    - corn
    - Black beans
    - avocados

Oh yes, we made Turkey tacos on romaine lettuce wraps a few weeks ago & it's now a weekly item for us. It's soooooo good! we also like to do turkey burgers wrapped in lettuce!
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Totally quick - and I just love canned tomatoes.

1 can of fire roasted tomatoes, 1/2 cup birdseye southwestern style rice and about a table spoon of taco or any mexican type seasoning. I eat it like a chunky soup. Yum. If I need to get my protein up, I add about a half cup of shredded chicken.
  • devon0324
    devon0324 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

- salsa
    - corn
    - Black beans
    - avocados

Mexican Food is my FAVORITE!!! I will be making this on Sunday for lunch on Monday AND Tuesday!!!! Cant Wait!