SODIUM!!!

Options
rayneenie
rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
I find that though I am always low on everything else my sodium is through the roof.
How do I fix this? I would really like to have much less sodium in my life as I retain water any how.

Replies

• rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I find that though I am always low on everything else my sodium is through the roof.
    How do I fix this? I would really like to have much less sodium in my life as I retain water any how.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    How can I reduce the sodium in my diet?

Choose fresh, frozen or canned food items without added salts.
    Select unsalted nuts or seeds, dried beans, peas and lentils.
    Limit the amount of salty snacks you eat, like chips and pretzels.
    Avoid adding salt and canned vegetables to homemade dishes.
    Select unsalted, fat-free broths, bouillons or soups.
    Select fat-free or low-fat milk, low-sodium, low-fat cheeses, as well as low-fat yogurt.
    Specify what you want and how you want it prepared when dining out. Ask for your dish to be prepared without salt.
    Use spices and herbs to enhance the taste of your food.

Ref: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4708

I hope this helps.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    eat less prepackaged foods and more fresh ones. prepackaged meals and snacks tend to be laden with sodium.
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Haha, yeah, we're really focused on the sodium too.

We started only eating fresh fruits and vegetables, nothing canned. We gave away all our canned food.... to my aunts. It was like a food drive :laugh:

We boil our own beans, cook our own vegetables, make our own soups. Just really, like kerrilucko said, try to avoid anything prepackaged.

This is going to sound crazy, I'm sure, but you could also switch your breakfast or a couple snacks to baby food. (SAY WHAT?) Baby food, I know. But it's actually really good, because they don't add any sugar or sodium, since everyone's so fussy about their babies' food. The baby cereal is actually tasty, and they have all kinds, as long as you don't mind that mushy texture. :tongue: And they have nice portion sized fruit cups for snacks.

Just obviously don't do like that crazy celebrity diet and ONLY eat the baby food, because that's not enough for a grown person to survive on, but for little snacks it's great.

They also have sodium reduced crackers, sodium reduced pitas, etc. Just gotta do a little hunting around. :wink: