"lazy day" meal ideas??

Options
for days that you don't really feel like cooking. something quick and easy. I also cook for my hubby who is a meat and potatoes kinda guy. So and ideas on my scrumptious stuff that will stop the temptation for hitting a drive thru?

Replies

• jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    For a lazy day but something nutrituos quick and easy - 2 X Wholewheat brown bread toasted ... filled with lettuce, cucumber and tomatoe and mayo lite ... seasoned with black pepper .... worth a try as boring and dull as it sounds
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Loaded baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. You can just let them hang out in the oven for 45 minutes, then add salsa, and sour cream or greek yogurt.

Turkey burgers.

Chili - 1/2 a container of ground turkey, can of tomatoes, 2 bell peppers, chili seasoning, onion, and zucchini. I made this and it served my boyfriend and I for a dinner, and multiple lunches.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    for days that you don't really feel like cooking. something quick and easy. I also cook for my hubby who is a meat and potatoes kinda guy. So and ideas on my scrumptious stuff that will stop the temptation for hitting a drive thru?

Fast food is really a misnomer. Its rarely fast, its expensive, energy dense 'empty calories'.

Pasta is dead simple and very easy (so long as you don't mind the carbs).
    In the time it takes for the water to boil and your choice of noodle to cook, you can rustle up a delicious tomato-based sauce such as a putanesca or napolitana. Or if you really can't be bothered doing that, you could buy a 'stir through sauce' from your supermarket. Even quicker if you substituted cous cous for the pasta noodles.

Alternatively, a great salad doesn't take long. My wife is a sucker for my greek salad and I do a killer variation of a ceasar salad.
    All the best,

Ben
  • theprettywon
    Options
    thanks for the ideas!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Buy chicken cut into parts. Season. Bake in the over at 350 degrees for one hour.

Heat up grill pan. Add steak. Sprinkle soy sauce and garlic powder. Or just garlic powder. Cook until the bottom half looks done. Flip. Cook until you can't see any more pink on the outside of the steak. Done.

For sides, just slice some vegetables.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My go-to for days I don't want to cook is a rotisserie cooked chicken from the deli, a loaf of bread and a cucumber. My kids love this meal and it is minimal work (ie cutting the bread and the cucumber).
  • kittybitz79
    Options
    I make a couple chicken breast and some baby red potatoes on Sunday and put them in the fridge and freezer. That way when I don't want to cook I can make easy items.

The chicken can become shredded chicken tacos(310 cal), cubed for a quick stir fry or Caesar salad (278 cal) or kept whole warmed in the oven with a little cheddar cheese on top.

The potatoes make a great mashed or fried potato side. Since it is just me and my hubby, I only use two potatoes (45 cal/potato).
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a freeze-ahead kinda gal. Soups & chilis mostly, but anything that freezes well works great.

I'll make chili and cornbread muffins on the weekend and freeze individual servings in ziplock baggies to pop in the microwave.
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to keep those little salad shrimps in my freezer. When I don't feel up to spending a lot of time in the kitchen, I make use them to make things like shrimp stirfry, ceviche or salad.
  • lauraluu21
    Options
    Mmmmmm rotisserie chicken is a great idea! I haven't done that in ages. Dinner is very overwelming to me. Sometimes I don't eat enough throughout the day, so my appetite is ravenous by dinner time. Freezing soups/chili is a great. Salad/soup is always filling for me.
  • lauraluu21
    Options
    I just found this helpful blog post on how to freeze/reheat soups. It has tips and tricks on what to omit before freezing so that it doesn't thaw out weird.

http://www.soupchick.com/2011/09/how-to-freeze-and-reheat-soup.html
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    blender, canned chick peas, 1 egg, koriander, parsley, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper. BLEND

form balls, bake in oven 20-30 minutes.

eat with fresh green-tomato salad and garlic-yogurt sauce.

(I think I am a FALAFEL addict... )

OH: the balls can be frozen for weeks. then all you need to do is preheat oven and bake.
  • dtban
    dtban Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    dont know how healthy this is but my whole family loves it, it is absolutly delicious and very filling.

fry up extra lean ground turkey
    cook 1 pack of uncle bens fast and fancy cheese and broccoli flavoured rice

mix them together once they are both cooked.

Then mix up eggs, milk, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.

Pour the egg mixture in a frying pan to make an omlett, add grated cheese and then the turkey and rice mixture, and when ready flip one side of the omlet over to cover the top of the filling.

These are really yummy omlets which are perfect for any meal any time of the day. depending on how many eggs you use, we get enough out of this filling to get 6 omletts

I am a lover of franks red hot sauce, this goes great with some hot sauce on top