HELP! Strength training. No equipment?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If I had no strength training equipment, and didn't hate WalMart :wink: I'd spend $35 on something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/21672511?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Save for later
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too
  • EndCat
    EndCat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you want Bodyweight Strength Training that requires limited equipment, I would recommend Convict Conditioning.
    Each exercise starts out at a very easy level and then gets progressively harder.

For example
    Push-Up Step 1: Do Push-Ups against a Wall
    Push-Up Step 2: Do Push-Ups off of the kitchen countertop or bathroom sink or whatever else you have around your house.
    It isn't until Step 5 of the Push-Up progression that you're doing a regulation push-up.

There are similar progressions for several different common exercises.

There is a YouTube Channel called ConvictConditioning's Channel. You can see video demonstrations of the steps of each exercise progression.

The book is available on Amazon and tells you how many sets and reps you should do before you move onto a tougher step.
  • evanesco
    Options
    Look into Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym. There's a book and an app. It's great for those of us who can't get to the gym.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You don't need much equipment!

Google "44 best bodyweight exercises" - its a youtube video of a US Marine and he is amazing!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you want Bodyweight Strength Training that requires limited equipment, I would recommend Convict Conditioning.
    Each exercise starts out at a very easy level and then gets progressively harder.

For example
    Push-Up Step 1: Do Push-Ups against a Wall
    Push-Up Step 2: Do Push-Ups off of the kitchen countertop or bathroom sink or whatever else you have around your house.
    It isn't until Step 5 of the Push-Up progression that you're doing a regulation push-up.

There are similar progressions for several different common exercises.

There is a YouTube Channel called ConvictConditioning's Channel. You can see video demonstrations of the steps of each exercise progression.

The book is available on Amazon and tells you how many sets and reps you should do before you move onto a tougher step.

Convict conditioning is good for very basic levels but its progressions leave a lot to be desired and programming is terrible.

- Hanging leg raises are all things considered extremely easy, beginner level stuff.

- His one arm pushup form is wrong, step 9 can't lead to step 10. The master step form is technically possible, but you need to work up to it with leg apart one arm pushups else you'll never learn to deal with the twist.

- Bridging for reps is kinda silly.

- Pistol squats are an usually complex exercise to get for how easy they are due to the huge differences between weaknesses. You can be weak at balance, mobility, pressing leg strength, holding the other leg up, a totally different approach is needed for each, it is very much not a one progression fits all exercise. Close squats are a dumb and pointless exercise.

- People who spend a lot of time doing CC tend to grossly underestimate the difficulty of a one arm chinup and start training for it WAY before they are ready.

- Noone has ever been recorded doing a one arm handstand pushup. The usual progression past handstand pushups is either to elevate the hands to increase ROM or to start handstand pressing (gymnastics/yoga move). One arm handstand pushups are just silly, it is a theoretical exercise.

You can do every excercise each workout session 3x a week, and there is no need to rep out so high before progressing. His "banking strength" concept is idiotic, sounds good on paper but where is it used in the world of professional S&C? It isn't.
  • EndCat
    EndCat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Convict conditioning is good for very basic levels

I think this is the key thing for the Original Poster.

She says she wants to start a strength training program.

I think at the lower steps that Convict Conditioning is a great starting point for strength training using your own bodyweight with limited equipment. The early steps are not out of reach of most people and they're not going to get discouraged and quit. They're going to build confidence in themselves and their physical fitness abilities.

Whether somebody stays with it to the master steps is a different question/discussion. My answer was simply geared toward somebody who is starting out.