Protein sources and good fats

Options
I have been looking at my nutritional intake and noticed that carbohydrate is the main part of my diet. I am often in the red in the amount of sugar consumed.

Can anyone suggest how I can get my protein sources and good fats up and get a healthy balance?

Thanks, Helen

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Protein - Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, meats and seafood, protein powder, eggs

Good fats- Avocado, nuts, nut butters, EVOO, coconut oil, seeds, oily fish like salmon and sardines
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Here is an example of one of my, high protein, moderate carb days. (120g or less.)

Breakfast: Greek yogurt with berries.

Snack: Almonds or some other kind of nut

Lunch: tuna, mayo, peppers, tomatoes, sweetcorn. I've been using a low carb wrap, but they are expensive in the UK, have to get them online. Could always make this into a salad. Chicken or tuna is very lean and very high protein for the calories.

Or

Chicken noodle soup

Or

Pea and ham soup (ny favourites)

Afternoon snack: 2 rice cakes, philadelphia light and smoked ham.

Dinner (tea): Any 200g of lean meat. (beef, pork, chicken, lamb as a treat, fish etc). With lots and lots of steam veggies. Mainly greens. Greens are lowest carbs and sugars. I haven tonnes of Brocolli, green beans and cabbage.

Night Time snack: home made popcorn, anything that fits my macros left for the day basically. I normally always have some kind of treat as long as it fits.

I usually eat around 1700 but I'm currently ill and eating around 1400/1500 as I'm inactive.

All good fats, lots of protein and moderate carbs. I also eat a lot of eggs! They are a great snack or breakfast!

Zara
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well that helped, thanks :smile:

For dinner I have decided on 2x poached egg, and veg, and air popped popcorn for afters.

Might have to have a think about these things when I'm doing the shopping on the weekend. Greek yoghurt and berries sounds really nice and I like the wrap idea - usually I go for soup and roll or something similar.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Protein-protein powder

Healthy fats-flax
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am doing a paleo-esque challenge right now and am only eating lean proteins, veggies, healthy fats and some complex carbs.

protein: chicken, fish (salmon, tilapia, flounder, cod), egg (I'm not a beef eater)
    healthy fats: avocado, most nuts except peanuts, coconut milk (canned), coconut oil, coconut butter
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you can find Lucerne brand greek yogurt, it's inexpensive, and they make one with 2x protein.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Salmon...BOOM!!! two birds with one stone...
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    I frequently under-eat my carbs and at the same time manage to exceed my sugar intake!! 3 fruits and two cups of tea per day (no sugar but semi-skimmed milk) are all it takes to push it over the edge...and veg such as peppers/tomatoes/cucumber increases the sugar intake! I try not to worry about fruit/veg/milk sugars too much and just make sure I'm not eating much in the way of refined sugars.

Otherwise, increasing protein intake would be a good idea, but beware salt and saturated fats. Unsalted nuts/seeds are high in good fats, oily fish high in omega oils (mackerel, sardines etc), oatmeal/porridge oats have a reasonably high amount of carbs in them but are low on sugar and have protein/good fats present.
  • toludc
    toludc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa a lot - great protein and very low fat. I use it for savoury and desserts - and make a kind of granola with it too
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Salmon...BOOM!!! two birds with one stone...

u r must b scientist
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Meats and Legumes are good sources of healthy fats and protein.

Also if you are getting sugar from unrefined sources (ex. fruits) then don't worry about it. It's the refined sugars you need to watch.
  • jsedai
    Options
    I never trust the recommended sugar. Women are supposed to have 30g of sugar per day max, but an apple is 19g of sugar. But we're also supposed to eat 2-3 servings of fruit per day. There you go, 2 apples = 38g. We're also supposed to eat dairy. One cup of 2% milk has 12g of sugar. That's 50g. Even cheese has sugar in it. Does not compute.

I believe the recommended sugar intake only applies to refined or added sugars, but that's just my opinion. I ignore it completely, because I rarely eat added sugars and I'm always above the recommended intake.

Edit: I probably should've read the post above mine ;)
  • NashRunner84
    NashRunner84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue, so thanks for the posts! :)
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to up my protein levels, thanks OP for posting and all those who replied! I've found protein shakes and lots of meat/fish (chicken, turkey breast steaks, tuna) and eggs have been my staples to try and get my protein levels higher!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I don't know what to suggest really.

Why are you going over on your carbs? You need to look through and see what you can cut back on there first. Bread, potatoes, rice are the obvious suspects... measure your servings, and try to replace some of these carbs with healthier ones like veggies.

Sugar is a subset of carbs. I don't track sugar and I'm prediabetic. I just watch the carbs, but I do make sure that I'm not eating refined sugar - like soda pop or cookies & cake.

Then simply up your protein & fat intake - eat more meat, nuts, etc.
  • NashRunner84
    NashRunner84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. It seems that I'm always under my fat and carbs, but over on fiber, protein, and sugar. Is this bad? My goal is to lose about 5 more lbs and have a leaner body. My nutrition coach put me on a high protein diet to protect the muscle that I'm building. I'm also training for a half marathon too.

Thanks!