Not-so-new member

Options
Hi all...
My name is Bob and I've been on MFP for almost 2 months. I'm not big on introductions because I always find myself rambling, but here goes.
I live in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, not really in the back woods, but really can't get many places without a car.
I'll be 49 this year, married, with 2 boys (12 and 19).
I enjoy repairing and problem solving with pretty much anything - cars, motorcycles, furniture, electronics. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades and master of none, though my primary employment is in computers and technology.
I had back surgery about 3 years ago and have worked from home ever since, making an employed couch potato. I've never been massively over weight - at 5' 7", the most I've tipped the scales is around 175, though I was at 162 when I joined MFP.
Ok, so about 5 months after back surgery I joined a karate class with my kids, just to get some exercise, but it turned ito a passion and a driving force. Last year the Association held it's World Championships in Charlotte, NC and I was determined to be there, but I was still a bit out of shape. I tried to get in the 150lb weight class, but just couldn't do it. I still went, but found myself out of breath at every turn. That was my primary motivation and in December I was referred to MFP - that's when I first started seeing success.
As of this morning I am at 149 with an ultimate goal of 137 (my weight on my first drivers' license).
I exercise whenever I can and still take karate classes 3x a week, now working on my Black Belt. The next World Championship is in 2014 and I am hoping to be there!
Losing the last 10 is always tough... anyone who relates to my story, could use some competetive motivation to exercise or just has similar interests and wants to chat... feel free to add me and I'll help any way I can!

See... rambling. :-)

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bob! What an accomplishment so far. Keep up the hard work, I know you'll reach your goals!!!

ON a side note, we lived in Scranton and then Bethlehem for about 9 years before returning to Wisconsin. We have very fond memories of our time in PA. The Poconos are beautiful, well maybe not so much in the winter with the snow/ice, but definitely in the summer/fall.
  • hattonrw
    hattonrw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Been trying hard to lose the last few pounds.
    I only intended to lose about 20lbs to help my back problems, but I checked my BMI and might shoot for more if this works out.
    The hardest part is not snacking all day!