Interesting! Exercise Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who finds MFP estimates to be more or less accurate? At least, I'm losing at the rate MFP says I should be eating back all my exercise calories.

Nope. I've found MFP underestimates my calorie burn on walking / running, and I always eat back all of my exercise calories. I've had to up my calories above the number suggested by MFP and routinely find that other apps (e.g. Runkeeper) estimate my calorie burn at a higher level than MFP. If you don't want to spring for a HRM, just keep track of all your food and exercise religiously and you should be able to determine how accurate (or inaccurate) the MFP calories are.
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mine actually understates it so it works for m. i normally butn 280-300. Myfit only says like 200-250. So im all set
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    MFP sometimes overestimates also it sometimes underestimates, as do the machines in the gym. This is because they are built based on averages of averages. I can do exactly the same exercise two days in a row and burn a different number of calories based on how tired I was to start with, ambient temperature etc. which all affect my heartrate.

I wear a HRM and would urge anyone doing this programme to do the same. I've lost 11 lb in 5 weeks with a lot of exercise involved and I eat the exercise calories back to get to my net target, so the maths is working for me. Good luck!

I have the same results using the MFP numbers for most of my exercises. When I do workouts on the Wii, I usually take numbers from that, but I use MFP numbers for circuit training instead of the Biggest Loser game results.
  • ossiary
    ossiary Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've just been having this exact same conversation on another thread. My HRM calculates about 500 cal for 40 mins running, MFP rates it at 782...quite a difference. I'd be more than happy to EAT the difference, but it's defeating the purpose really. I'm training for weight loss and race speed, so i need to replace some of the calories to be sure the tank has enough to properly perform in tomorrow's session, and the one after. I plan to eat about half of the calories my HRM measures my output to be. Does this sound like a reasonable system?
    Yes!

Thanks for the input!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If I eat back my exercise calories back I usually keep it to 50% to play is safe.
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I put in my own from machine and other stuff,,In ever eat exercisie calories ..not sure how that helps u