Best Cardio routine/excercises/strategies?

Hey, I'm still new to this..have lost 5 pounds so far from diet and weight lifting alone but I know I need to start doing some cardio! From those who have had success, are your recommended routines/excercises for cardio, in order to maximize fat loss/calories burned?? I have the feeling that just doing 40 minutes on the elliptical every day isn't necessarily the best strategy.

Thanks!

Replies

• melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Anything that gets your heart rate up! You can powerwalk, jog, swim, bike, elliptical, stair-master , classes (Zumba, step classes, etc.). I would just suggest switching it up so your body doesn't accommodate and stop changing, and to make it more fun. The only thing I personally don't do is swim, but it's great for your body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    A better type of cardio is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) as it can help with muscle retention. But anything that you enjoy is the better type. Whether it's combat/martial arts, swimming, biking, etc..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Unless you are training for something specific, cardio is cardio... do what you enjoy.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    my favourite routine for weight loss is as follows:

5x5 fork putdowns
    3x3 counting calories correctly
    5x5 eating at a deficit
  • AshS1050
    AshS1050 Posts: 43 Member
    i'm gonna bump. really want to see what people say to this.

(i try some HIIT and like it for my cardio)
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    to each their own -

I do Insanity everyday (except the rest day, obviously) plus cycling/elliptical/running. I prefer to NOT do steady state cardio. Way too boring for me. If I'm out for a run I either pick a really hilly route or alternate sprinting and walking. If on a machine, I either do speed intervals or resistance intervals.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Unless you are training for something specific, cardio is cardio... do what you enjoy.

This!!!! Do things you enjoy. Walking, yoga, and bike riding are all good. Many like jogging or running, but that is harder on knees if knees are an issue for you. The key is to choose things you enjoy so exercise isn't a chore or punishment. Enjoyable cardio boosts your metabolism and gives you an emotional lift. Cardio you don't enjoy tends to fall by the wayside.
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat Boost metabolism!

If I had all the time in the world, it would be too little to say how grateful Ia am to her for making that routine!

You'll fell more energetic the more you do it, and you will see the difference in your weightlifting as well.