Maybe you need to be YOUR OWN BFF!

So I decided to start back getting healthy this week with a new plan and schedule. Anywhos - I say that to say that I was tossing out old magazines last night and found something I think we all can benefit from. It said somehing to this effect: Instead of letting negativity get to you "I can't do this. It's too big of a goal. It's never going to happen." We should treat ourselves as we treat our best friends. When your friend needs motivating - you say "You can do it! I know you can rock that goal! Hang in there - you will get there!" - right? We should be our own best friend and block out our own negativity with the same positive words we offer to our friends!

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Good advice. When I think of internal dialogues I've had in the past I just smile and shake my head. I wouldn't treat a stranger the way I spoke to myself, let alone a friend. It was totally unacceptable. But hey, as long as I was making myself feel unworthy of the best self-care, it helped me avoid accountability. Funny how when I was truly ready, that inner naysayer just dissolved. I'm still not sure what changed but I'm glad it did!
  • I actually say some mornings when I'm forcing myself out of bed to workout "Get your A** out of this bed! Quit trying to go back to sleep!" LOL!!! My best friends know that when they need a good kick in the pants, I'll give them a foot full of love! I never used to give myself that same treatment. It was always "Oh well, go back to sleep, you've always been heavy. What does it matter?" ANYTHING to give myself permission to roll over. This is a great post.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Y'all are both right! When we change the way we talk to ourselves, we can change our outcomes! WE CAN ALL DO THIS and even if no one else is cheering, we DESERVE to CHEER FOR OURSELVES! Let's rock this fitness thing!
  • beezipper
    beezipper Posts: 18 Member
    Excellent! So many people need to hear this and really start to feel it for themselves!
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Y'all are both right! When we change the way we talk to ourselves, we can change our outcomes! WE CAN ALL DO THIS and even if no one else is cheering, we DESERVE to CHEER FOR OURSELVES! Let's rock this fitness thing!

AMEN to this!
  • Lovinglish
    Lovinglish Posts: 55 Member
    totally agree, very good advice
  • I like this, thank you!
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    totally agree. we need to feel it ourselves to make it work. we need to be accountable and yes treat ourselves the same way we treat our friends. we are always so support of friends, why not support ourselves.
  • MereMe
    And the BONUS is... when you are your own BFF, you get one more friend! :) We've got this, ladies!
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    bump
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Being self reliant leads to SUCCESS ! :happy:
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    yeah I need to work on that
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Hey, MFP members, she's talkin to you.

I agree, we can literally change our lives when we change our thoughts. And no one else can do it for you - not your therapist, not your mom, not your anti-depressants.

It's on me.
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    So true. Lately I keep telling myself (when I feel no progress is happening) to look back to where I came from a year ago. And that a year ago, I was doing practically NO workouts and eating crap all the time. It does help me a lot to do that, and it is exactly what I tell friends in the same situation.

And that even if I'm not losing weight some weeks, I'm not gaining!
  • MereMe
    I am LOVING that y'all needed to hear this advice too! It's totally on US!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Suddenly the song "I'm my own grandpa" is playing in my head.

:ohwell:
  • MereMe
    I don't know that song - but I do know my weight loss is solely a result of MY actions and my attitude determines jus how much effort I put in!

Results of my 8 day challenge: Down 8.39#, Lost 6.9", 1.1% body fat, & BMI down 1.2% ... yup - in EIGHT days!

I CAN DO THIS! (and so can Y O U!)