How Much Weight Did You Lose Before You/People Noticed?

Options
Weight loss is a funny thing. I have lost about 70lbs and people are just noticing (like really). I didn’t notice the lost myself until about 40lbs. I know the little poem that’s says it takes 8 weeks for you to notice, 12 weeks for others, etc…. I guess it depends on your height and build. Some people can lose 15lbs and look like they loss 50lbs. Others like me will lose 70lbs and only look like I lost maybe 30lbs. I guess I should be grateful, maybe that means I carry my weight well. How much did you lose before it was noticed?

Now, let me address the people who always have to make a smart or sarcastic comment no matter what the topic or question is; now that you have lost the weight work on losing that negative attitude! Possible smart remarks – No I’m not losing weight for anyone to notice, I am doing it for myself. But everyone appreciates encouraging words that’s why we’re on MFP. Keep it Friendly!!!

Replies

• csunderland2012
    Options
    well firstly, congratulations, thats incredible, i cant imagine theres much left of you, you should feel really proud of yourself

ive lost 8lbs, not allot but wow, totally noticable, my clothes fit me so much nicer and i feel so much happier in myself. i =didnt think a measly half a stone would make such a difference. im aiming for another stone, but am seriously struggling today ...i hope i can do it hmphh
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It took a good 30 pounds before people started commenting. I was sooo disappointed when the school year began. My daughter does brownies and I hadn't seen the brownie moms all summer - so I figured they'd notice my 20 pound weight loss. NOT! Not one word. Nada. Now that I've lost a little over 30 pounds, lots of the moms comment.

Yes, I'm losing the weight for me - but it is nice when people notice.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 and the only people who have "noticed" are the ones who KNOW I'm trying to lose weight. In the past at about 50 lbs people start asking if I've done something different to my hair, but that's about it! lol
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    this time, as soon as I started doing HIIT, I almost immediately started noticing that my clothes were fitting better, loser, less belly bulging...so I feel better a lot a lot and I keep expecting that people will say wow, you look awesome and then I remember that I have only lost 7 lbs but I feel as if I had lost 20 already.
  • ednaflores619
    ednaflores619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    After I lost 50 lbs only some people noticed. My sister said she couldn't tell I lost that much weight. I felt bad at first, but then I told myself that I know the truth and that I am doing this for me. If you have over 100 lbs to lose, it takes a while for others to notice because even though I had lost 50 lbs, I still had 80 more to go so I still looked pretty big. I gained some weight back, but I am going back down again. Feeling good about my meals and workouts. Just keep doing what you are doing...70 lbs is a great accomplishment.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    At about 30 pounds people started noticing and commenting. It's a nice NSV to hear! Who cares what other people think anyway? Lose the weight for your health and well-being. :)
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I've lost 22 pounds and no one noticed anything (and I have a fairly lean frame). It doesn't matter to me - I lost weight and got in shape for me, so as long as I feel good about myself it doesn't matter whether others notice. :flowerforyou:
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    About 40. I think people are hesitant to compliment if they are not sure....
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on your amazing progress! That is definitely something to be proud of!

2nd... my guess is people really DID notice long before they said something... Weight is such a touchy subject that I think a lot of people are really nervous to mention it at all... including the awesome job someone has done at losing weight! I'll generally go ahead and tell people if I've noticed if they have lost weight because I really like it when people tell me... but I also know other people when telling me stories about how people went off the handle at them when they commented on how much weight someone lost... getting super defensive and saying that they weren't THAT heavy to begin with, so since they don't always know how people will react, a lot of people just keep their mouths shut.

I'd say personally after about 15-20lbs people started commenting that they noticed a change... Of course it might have also been that they saw how hard I was trying to just trying to make me feel better too...?

Regardless, you know how far you've come and that you look awesome! Don't let anyone take that away from you! Rock on girl you are doing a great job!
  • shpatterson
    shpatterson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs. since April 2012- no one has commented.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! You should be proud of that!
    I think a lot of things factor in: what kind of clothes you wear, your height, how much you need to lose, where your body loses fat first, and how you are built.
    I am short, small-framed, and had about 35 lbs to lose. People started noticing after I lost 6 lbs. I think its because my midsection started shrinking fairly rapidly. But don't be discouraged- while its nice when people notice, think of what is going on inside, where people can't see. Your whole body is likely functioning better, which is worth far more in the long run.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    probably 10-15 some people started noticing... 20 it became noticeable to a lot of people! i am really short though so 20 lb seems like a lot on me.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty heavy, so it took a while. People started commenting on my face after I'd lost 25 pounds, and then people started to make comments about looking trimmer around 35-40 pounds. I get a lot of comments when I wear a certain pair of jeans (they make me look 15 pounds lighter and enhance my shape), so I'm going to keep buying that brand/style. ;)
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Weight loss is a funny thing. I have lost about 70lbs and people are just noticing (like really). I didn’t notice the lost myself until about 40lbs. I know the little poem that’s says it takes 8 weeks for you to notice, 12 weeks for others, etc…. I guess it depends on your height and build. Some people can lose 15lbs and look like they loss 50lbs. Others like me will lose 70lbs and only look like I lost maybe 30lbs. I guess I should be grateful, maybe that means I carry my weight well. How much did you lose before it was noticed?

Now, let me address the people who always have to make a smart or sarcastic comment no matter what the topic or question is; now that you have lost the weight work on losing that negative attitude! Possible smart remarks – No I’m not losing weight for anyone to notice, I am doing it for myself. But everyone appreciates encouraging words that’s why we’re on MFP. Keep it Friendly!!!

when I first started, I was real heavy and people noticed after I dropped 60 then kept dropping. People are weird. lol
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I remember people noticed after I had lost about 3 or 4 pounds (and that was all I lost haha). I have no idea how but it made a big difference apparently! I'd rather people not notice, while I no longer am focusing on weight related goals, I like to keep these kinda goals to myself.

Well done on your progress by the way!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord. I had to lose As much as I have lost at this very moment for people to start noticing :tongue: .
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It's not really when they noticed -- it's when they acknowledged to you that they notice.

I don't comment on peoples' size, either way. Did someone gain (or might be pregnant)? I won't ask or comment.
    Did they lose ? Still won't comment (I did once, about 15 years ago only to find that the loss was due to a thyroid issue and a source of great stress and frustration )

But please, if you are losing or wondering if it shows to other people -- take notice of compliments -- are more people saying "That color suits you" or "you look happy today" or "that's a great jacket/dress/suit" ? Because I will say those things.

And for what it's worth -- if you have a good attitude, you always look great to me.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    First off, well done! :smile:

You should remember there are tons of people who DO notice the change, but are just being polite and not saying anything. OR that they're jealous of your amazing transformation. There have been times I've complimented people on looking like they've lost weight, but then they've actually gained and are just wearing more flattering clothes... needless to say I'm slightly more hesitant before saying it to people now lol.

Personally I didn't have anyone notice until about 70 pounds into it? (I'm tall and athletically built, so it's harder too tell). Then the next time was just recently about 120 pounds into it?

Guess it's a blessing and a curse to not have people notive every 5 pounds you lose or gain lol.
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It was about 20 for me, but I also gained a lot of muscle, so I think I probably lost a lot more fat, but the scale didn't reflect it, so I didn't even notice a change until I saw some pictures haha!
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    So far I lost 30lbs and no one notices yet but I have been trying to avoid certain people as much as I can until I have lost a significant amount so I can blow them away lol