too little for swim team???

Options
My son is 3.5 years old and I'm considering having him join the swimming team at our gym. Practices are 60 minutes, twice a week. Does this seem too extreme or demanding of a schedule for a three year old?

For some background: He's been in swimming lessons (30 minutes once a week) for about six months. He's been in the highest offered level for his age group for two months and he has begun to act out (not listening, splashing, being silly, swimming off the platform when it's not his turn) which is making me think he's just plain bored.

I guess I'm just worried about him getting sick of swimming and don't want him to burn out on something so young... What do people think? Is 2 hours a week structured swim time too much for a three year old?

Replies

• eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it seems a bit too young to start him yes.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    depends on the kid. i would talk to the swim coach and see what standards he would need to meet to join the team. if he can meet them, then i'd say go to.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I used to coach a competitive swim team years ago. It was a summer league and we practiced M-F. I had ages 4-18, I would say. Swimming is rigorous, so usually the younger kids (8 and under) were released from practice after around 30 minutes (give or take a few).

I don't think the 2 days is a big deal, but 60 minutes swimming straight for a 3.5 year old seems like a little much.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I have talked to the coach (who actually noticed him during a lesson and brought it up to me that he seemed bored) and he's had an assessment and been to one practice with the team and skill-wise, he's fine and meets all the requirements. 45 minutes into the practice, he began to get tired and the coach noticed and did some things at the wall with him then asked me if I wanted to take him out a few minutes early or have him stay at the wall. I took him out, obviously.

He is excited about it and wants to do it... I just worry he will later feel like it was my decision, not his. Which, really, it is my decision, haha... Part of my hesitation is when I was 12-13 I was swimming at the national level and practicing 2-3 hours a day six days a week and felt really pushed into it by my dad who had swam at the national level throughout high school. Obviously, I'm not pushing him into it... Just wanted to check with some other opinions before we move forward!

Thanks!

Any more advice would be great
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I have talked to the coach (who actually noticed him during a lesson and brought it up to me that he seemed bored) and he's had an assessment and been to one practice with the team and skill-wise, he's fine and meets all the requirements. 45 minutes into the practice, he began to get tired and the coach noticed and did some things at the wall with him then asked me if I wanted to take him out a few minutes early or have him stay at the wall. I took him out, obviously.

He is excited about it and wants to do it... I just worry he will later feel like it was my decision, not his. Which, really, it is my decision, haha... Part of my hesitation is when I was 12-13 I was swimming at the national level and practicing 2-3 hours a day six days a week and felt really pushed into it by my dad who had swam at the national level throughout high school. Obviously, I'm not pushing him into it... Just wanted to check with some other opinions before we move forward!

Thanks!

If he's excited and wants to do it, and the coach has agreed, then I'd say go for it.

But when he gets tired of it, I'd also say pull him out and let him go back at it at an older age. Just don't force him once he starts. That might make him lose his love. If he truly excels and wants to stay in, you may have a future olympian on your hands!

Hope he loves it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Thanks!

If he's excited and wants to do it, and the coach has agreed, then I'd say go for it.

But when he gets tired of it, I'd also say pull him out and let him go back at it at an older age. Just don't force him once he starts. That might make him lose his love. If he truly excels and wants to stay in, you may have a future olympian on your hands!

Hope he loves it.

^^ This. Let the kid compete if he wants and let him back off when he's tired of it. Hold off on the pushing until he's older.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say yes. Our swim team doesn't allow children that young. Having said that, I started when I was 4.5, my friend and I were the same age and the youngest on the team. The coach just put us in an end lane so she could keep an eye on us and didn't demand as much out of us as the others.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I don't think USS swimming allows you to compete under 5 years old... either that or its a '5 and under' age group lol.

if the coaches are willing to work around him (which not all would and not to sound like an *kitten*, i don't blame them) and he enjoys it then i don't see a problem. I would think he'd let you know at some point if he didnt want to do it.

we had a five year old on the age group team i swam on in highschool. she was a machine, she'd do whatever was asked of her with a kick *kitten* attittude. pretty much every other kid that joined between 6-12 cried the first week.

if hes got any talent, and it sounds like he comes from it, start him early, he wants it anyway
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've never been at a competitive level of any sport, but I did skate and swim growing up (and am still skating today). But I know before each season my parents would sit down with my sister & I, and ask us if we really wanted to skate that year or swim or do gymnastics or whatever. That way we would always have a say in what we were doing, and they always gave us the option of doing more or less, depending on what our school schedule was like (come later elementary/high school).

As long as he's excited, and having fun, and the coach is encouraging it, why not.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I suspect your pediatricians and child development experts would ask you to hold him back. If he actually likes it now, he will like it in a few years, when it is time for him to start. If he is too young, you might kill his enjoyment.