does the special k diet really work?

Options
does the special k diet work? i don't have time to go to the gym like i would like but i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the special k diet.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I think I remember seeing this. Isn't it a bowl of cereal for breakfast and lunch and then a "sensible dinner"? There is nothing special about this. It is massive calorie restriction so yeah, it'll probably work. For awhile. Until 1) you can't take it any more because your body is crying out for food or 2) you do lose weight but then your metabolism freaks out and thinks you are starving so it starts refusing to let go of your fat and you pack on the pounds as soon as you try to eat normally again.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just don't think this a good fix for not being able to go to the gym. A better solution is to eat a reasonable number of calories so that you are getting a caloric deficit but it isn't huge and get in some exercise to create more of a deficit and preserve your muscles. Try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. It is cheap and contains three different 20-30 minute workouts that you can do with basically no equipment except some hand weights. Or check out the videos on the Exercise TV website. You can find some short, intense ones that you can do in your living room and save the time of going to the gym, if that is the problem.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with kaitlinj, it's wayy too restricted. My sister did it for a little while but didn't last long. I imagine you'd get bored. I can't eat the same thing more than 2 or 3 days in a row 'cause I get bored and tired and resort to my old, unhealthy habits. Please don't do the Special K diet. It's expensive too... a box of cereal for breakfast and lunch will have you through that box in about a week & a half... you could also buy the bars, but again, they're expensive. And then you're not getting the daily recommended servings of fruits & veggies (are you going to cram 3-5 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit, PLUS 12 ounces of protein into your dinner?) Girl, this doesn't sound healthy at all.
  • rocktinkerbell
    Options
    A friend of mine at work and I did the Special K diet right before the holidays. I lost 5 pounds and she lost 6. Then we tried to do it a second 2 weeks and it didnt work. So its a way to drop some quickly in a short amount of time. It really wasnt that hard because they have alot to chose from to eat. I put half of it back on because I went home for Christmas and couldnt resist all of the good holiday food and deserts, but I kept half of it off for good.

What you need to do for it is on specialK.com. Its either a meal bar, bowl of cereal (3/4 cups) or 2 special K waffles with sugar free syrup for your first two meals of the day. You also have a 2 snacks of special K crackers or a special K cereal bar. you can supplement with fruit and evggies

So that's my experience with it. :) I hope that helps!
  • jdramage
    jdramage Posts: 37
    Options
    I think I remember seeing this. Isn't it a bowl of cereal for breakfast and lunch and then a "sensible dinner"? There is nothing special about this. It is massive calorie restriction so yeah, it'll probably work. For awhile. Until 1) you can't take it any more because your body is crying out for food or 2) you do lose weight but then your metabolism freaks out and thinks you are starving so it starts refusing to let go of your fat and you pack on the pounds as soon as you try to eat normally again.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just don't think this a good fix for not being able to go to the gym. A better solution is to eat a reasonable number of calories so that you are getting a caloric deficit but it isn't huge and get in some exercise to create more of a deficit and preserve your muscles. Try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. It is cheap and contains three different 20-30 minute workouts that you can do with basically no equipment except some hand weights. Or check out the videos on the Exercise TV website. You can find some short, intense ones that you can do in your living room and save the time of going to the gym, if that is the problem.

I love everything about what you said here! I feel so strongly about the millions of "diets" that are out there after what I have learned using MFP. The name of the game is LEARNING how to eat and exercise and live a normal life. Understanding the nutritional value of what you're putting in your mouth and also the incredible value that exercise does for your body is so important. You don't have to go to the gym to be exercising. Try the DVDs as suggested or go for a power walk or dance in your living room or scrub the shower! As long as you're working up a sweat and moving. In conclusion, I don't believe in these diets.
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. HOWEVER, for a sensible bowl of cereal.. they taste good and are filling. MEH to the calorie restrictions, but it's certainly better than eating golden grahams.
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Keyword: DIET!!!
    I think it might work if you want to drop wieght right before something, like a wedding or such, such as rocktinkerbell said. But the best "diet" you can do isnt a diet at all, just a lifestyle change. The slower the wieght comes off the easier itll be to keep it off
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm always wary of 'quick fix' diets like this anyway, but as others have mentioned, it's very restrictive in terms of calories and variety in your diet, and I doubt that it'd be sustainable over more than a few days.

I'd work on trying to find time to fit in the gym or other exercise- your body and weightloss will benefit more in the long term! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rocktinkerbell
    Options
    A friend of mine at work and I did the Special K diet right before the holidays. I lost 5 pounds and she lost 6. Then we tried to do it a second 2 weeks and it didnt work. So its a way to drop some quickly in a short amount of time. It really wasnt that hard because they have alot to chose from to eat. I put half of it back on because I went home for Christmas and couldnt resist all of the good holiday food and deserts, but I kept half of it off for good.

What you need to do for it is on specialK.com. Its either a meal bar, bowl of cereal (3/4 cups) or 2 special K waffles with sugar free syrup for your first two meals of the day. You also have a 2 snacks of special K crackers or a special K cereal bar. you can supplement with fruit and evggies

So that's my experience with it. :) I hope that helps!

I forgot to add that you get a sensible dinner.... I was concentrating on the special K part!

I agree its not the lifestyle change that we're talking about on this site, but its not like it starves you. My friend and I found it quite easy. Its not a substitute for exercise AT ALL.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nutrition aside, I would be bored eating cerial and ceral bars every day, twice a day. I've never been a big fan of cereal to begin with, but I must say I did get a box of Special K Cinnamon and Pecan the other day, and omg that's good... still couldn't eat it that frequently, but I have had it for breakfast three times this week. yummy.