Upping calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same, am eating 1200 calories, exercise each day. Some days I eat all my calories from exercise, other days only eat half. My weight hasnt really moved for 4 weeks but I am scared to increase my calories as I haven't got time to play about. I am getting married in 6 weeks and need to fit into my wedding dress, need to lose another 4 lbs so really cant afford to put on so close to my wedding.

I am also 5 ft ish so every extra lb shows.

I wish you luck on your journey, can we please hold hands if we both increase our calories, it might not be so scary then. :laugh:
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I put it on your profile already, but in case you didn't see it:

"Slower" is a relative term... For the past three weeks you have lost zero. You will lose more than that, but maybe not as fast as you'd like. Any improvement is good in my opinion :) Go to the pool in October and rock your bikini if you don't meet your goals by summer!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was in same situation! I went up to 1400 a day and Im dropping weight again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The less weight you have to lose, the slower you should be going to preserve lean body mass and burn fat. Eating at a large deficit with not much to lose will burn more LBM and less fat. If you have 20 Lbs to lose, you should be at 1 Lb per week loss...10 Lbs or less should be around .5 Lbs per week loss for safe and healthy weight loss.

Also, I take a "diet break" every 6 weeks or so and eat to maintenance or just under it to combat plateaus and reset my metabolism...it works.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    READ THIS:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Lot's of good info. I am also 5'0" tall, I eat between 1500 and 1700 depending on when I workout. I lost an inch off my belly in the last 2 weeks. My weight doesn't change much, but my body sure has. I just started the "New Rule of Lifting for Women".. The nutritional section of the book is well worth the $18.00 I paid for it. You should check it out whether you intend to "lift" or not.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 calories a day since September and have lost 20 lbs. But I haven't lost any in the past three weeks. I have been staying under in calories and exercising 3-4 times a week, usually eating back at least half of my exercise calories. I am getting discouraged and people are telling me that I need to eat more. I am thinking about upping to 1400, but I am afraid that I will lose at an even slower rate than I am now. My question is, would this boost my metabolism and actually help me to lose quicker or will it go at an even slower rate than it is now. I am 5 ft and 145 lbs if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance, any input would be appreciated.

Its not really a plateau until you haven't lost for 4 weeks. Patience is key as water weight changes dramatically day to day. Upping your daily calories to 1400 is not going to cause you to lose weight so if you want to do that go ahead.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy,
    I can't advise 'cause this is my dilemma too! I'm exercising 4+ times a week- walking dogs and/or Wii fit, on 1204 Kcals -But I've had a couple of "do's"where I've felt dizzy and weak. I have had times where I have stuck to the 1200 for days and then had a blip and consumed far too many calories, usually with "bad" food. So I following this thread with interest!
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Are your measurements changing? At a 1200 calories/ day target, you *definitely* need to eat back all your exercise calories.