The Gym-timidation Thread

Options
Okay, if you're intimidated of being in the gym because of the people, or the machines, or the trainer, or whatever... here's your place to gab.

I am terrified of the elliptical. I fall down a lot. I injure myself a lot. I am a klutz, accident-proned, etc. I WANT to do the elliptical, but am terrified of ending up tangled on it like a cartoon.

Your turn.

Replies

• TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    That's me. It's weird. I have the gift of gab, and my mother calls me a "Social Super Butterfly" but in general, people terrify me. Especially, skinny and ripped people who look like they have no body fat to speak of. Pretty sure it's a self esteem thing.

Incidentally, I'm also clumsy.. but I use that as a conversation piece.. haha.
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to overcome my fear of the treadmill. My friend fell on it once and flew halfway across the gym floor and landed on her face- thankfully she was ok, just a few scratches, but now I'm scared to go on it in case it happens to me too! Eeeeks! :ohwell:
  • carolemsavoie
    Options
    :bigsmile: I'm a little nervous evrytime I get on & off the treadmill & I'd love 2 try the epilitical machine ,but it 's kind of big ...I guess I'l try it 1 day so I can get used 2 it..lol
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    Everyone when first starting at the gym has had embarrassing moments. Even the big guys who are so "ripped and look like they don't have any body fat" Dropping weights on yourself, injuring yourself, falling on a treadmill, etc. all common. So I wouldn't worry about it. People might look at you funny, but what they are really thinking is "man that was so awful when it happened to me too."

Personally, I've fallen off a treadmill, tried to bench to much without a spotter and had to have someone run over to help me. My buddy just told me yesterday about one time when he was maxing and was trying a new hand grip on the bench and dropped a crap ton of weight on himself and everyone just stared at him like he was a fool.

If people judge you for being in the gym for trying to get healthier, then they are jerks and you shouldn't care about what they think anyways!
  • bluexiii
    bluexiii Posts: 36
    Options
    P.S everyone feels stupid the first time on the elliptical.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    The so-called "gym culture" here in L.A. is ridiculous. People are snide and judgmental at most of the gyms I've gone to...only recently have I discovered the wonders of the YMCA, which is WAY cheaper than my old gym, has decent equipment, competent trainers, and a family-friendly clientele. There's even an old man who works out wearing garden gloves. Love it!

Seriously though, I hate feeling like people are judging me while I'm huffing and puffing and twisting myself in awkward positions trying to lift heavy things.
  • IceBerry
    IceBerry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new on this. But noticed that I am not only one has trouble with treadmill! I tried and tried to do on treadmill without holding on bar. But I felt like I was going to slide backward or fall off. As if I dont have any balance. I really want to be able to walk or run on treadmill without holding on the bar. I am just doing it slowly n nicely trying not to hold on and if i do feel like i fall back. either i just touch finger tip on it or or barely touch that bar just to trick my mind. It would be nice to hear how they handle that?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I don't work out in a gym - I bought a treadmill, I bought an elliptical, I have a set of weights (10, 15 and 27 pounds), I have a stability ball and I have the outdoors (well, at least 7 months out of the year!!).
    Why?
    I hate mirrors and the sight of myself.
    I can't stand people, in general - especially the ones talking loudly and bringing attention to themselves.
    I hate feeling like I don't belong in the weight room with the other muscle monkeys.
    I hate being in the locker room and being exposed to your disco bush, grandma!
    I hate having to drive around the parking lot looking for a spot to park, because you are there trying to pick up, not work out.
  • nikkolatwell
    Options
    I would recommed starting slow with cardio equiptment. I know how you feel I always feel like the fat girl in spin class (cycling), but then I think how they should all be proud of me I am here and I am working hard. Sometimes I think really skinny gym rats are cranky because they just dont eat enough. hang in there with some work you will be the new you you deserve to be : )
  • kkochend
    kkochend Posts: 27
    Options
    The first time I went to a gym my friend put me on an eliptical. The motion was awkward! About 3 minutes into the program he looks at me and almost falls off his eliptical laughing at me... Apparently I looked like "Bambi learning to walk". ;)

As far as intimidation... I have that. I don't know how to use all of that equipment and am very shy. My solution was to buy a used Norditrak Eliptical off eBay ($80!) and use it while watching DVR TV. It has a couple programs, incline, heart rate monitor and shows calorie burn. In the warm weather I play kickball on a league, softball, and go to the walking parks. In the cold weather I throw in some EA Active and Wii Fit plus and bowling league. It's cheaper than paying monthly fees to a gym that I am not confident enough to go to. Who knows maybe one day I will muster up the money and courage to join a gym, if not to try out some new classes!
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I don't work out in a gym - I bought a treadmill, I bought an elliptical, I have a set of weights (10, 15 and 27 pounds), I have a stability ball and I have the outdoors (well, at least 7 months out of the year!!).
    Why?
    I can't stand people, in general - especially the ones talking loudly and bringing attention to themselves.
    I hate feeling like I don't belong in the weight room with the other muscle monkeys.
    I hate having to drive around the parking lot looking for a spot to park, because you are there trying to pick up, not work out.

'Disco bush'. That made me laugh out loud. I like you already.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Why?

'Disco bush'. That made me laugh out loud. I like you already.

Seriously though, I went to the swim center the other day and I was exposed to a woman go at it really doing a deep cleaning of her genitals. :sick: Can't some people cover up?