Does Fitness Pal really work?

Options
I'm very new to Fitness Pal and I'm wondering how successful this app is? I have been using it about a week and its been very helpful with showing me how little protein I was eating. However, I find that at the end of the day I seem to go over on all 4 of the things I keep track of all day just by TRYING to eat a healthy dinner. What are some helpful hints to make this successful? I get married in 4 months and want to lose as much as possible by then. Help!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Helpful Hints:

1. Track ALL of your food.
    2. Stay within your calorie goal
    3. Eat back most of your exercise calories.
    4. Eat healthy most of the time, but have some treats (as it fits in your calorie goal).
    5. Repeat
    6. Repeat
    7. Repeat
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    MFP only works if you use it - not only faithfully but honestly. I have been on this seriously since 1/3/13 and have dropped 13.4 lbs. I know that it will take time and I am honestly tracking all my food intake...good and bad. If you stick to it, you will be successful. Good luck on this journey! Stick to it and you will achieve your goals!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    YOU do the work. MFP just helps you keep track of it.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    YOU do the work. MFP just helps you keep track of it.

Took the words right out of my fingers!
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It works. Measure and weigh your food. Accurately log your food. Eat back your exercise calories, but not all of them if you're using MFP's estimated calories burned.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Things that don't make you gain:

Going over your carbs
    Going over your protein
    Going over your fat
    Going over your sugar

Things that do make you gain:

Going over your calories
    Too much sodium (temporary)
  • meechster20001
    meechster20001 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've found it really helpful and changing my diet to be healthier is making me feel so much better. Lean protein will fill you up I've found and cutting back on carbs helps. I don't go hungry, allow myself the occasional treat and make sure I enjoy my food because there's no point trying to change and just resenting it.
  • oddberry
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate it, make a commitment to yourself and stick to it. MFP is only a tool to help. You have to be the one to do the work. Eventually it becomes second nature logging in. You just have to want it bad enough. Add me as a buddy and I'll help keep you motivated!! You can do this...but only if you want to.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The app is just one tool to help YOU.

The community boards are another. Plus, making friends who'll keep you on track.

But, bottom line, it is all up to you. But you can do it!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    My fitness pal doesn't work. You do!!

It is a useful tool for understanding your calorie intake / macros, and for helping you stay motivated. Like everything else related to fitenss it isn't magic
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. It's a tool. Like a hammer.... Ff you don't use it, it won't work. If you use it improperly, it can cause damage. If you use it right, it works just like it's supposed to.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think most of us take the MY part of MyFitnessPal seriously.

MY efforts have been rewarded with weight-loss. MY daily logging has helped me to change for the better. MY commitment to this site has helped me learn how to live healthier.

It's a tool for you to use however YOU need to and you need to figure out how that is over time. =)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WELL HELL YEAH!
  • septembersully
    Options
    i thought it would just be another way to track my failure....lol.... But since i started using it and paying attention to what i was actually eating and doing to myself.... it must have clicked somewhere.... along with using fitness pal and actually getting my butt off the couch and going to the gym 2-3 times a week..... the weight is slowing coming off.... im so glad i decided to try this app.... for my phone.... i even have my husband tracking what he eats... and he has lost weight as well..... what also helps is checking out your BMI score online.... i never thought of myself as huge....just fluffy.... well my BMI says im obese!!! and just seeing those words make me cringe.... so i just keep that in my mind and take each day at a time...im losing 1lb a week.... but thats what my goal is.... start slow..... and work your way up.... But i love this tracker!! so easy to use...:happy:
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I find that at the end of the day I seem to go over on all 4 of the things I keep track of all day just by TRYING to eat a healthy dinner. What are some helpful hints to make this successful?
    My fitness pal doesn't work. You do!!
    You have to log the food. And after a day of tracking and if you still go over your calorie goal. YOU have to change something. YOU have to review your diary & YOU have to decide...
    1.) what you could have lived without (like what food just isn't worth its calories),
    2.) what you need to find a lower calorie substitute, (like eating your favorite chicken fajitas in a salad instead of with tortilla shells)
    3.) what you may want to reduce in portion size (instead of 2 slices of your favorite pizza, have 1).

Tips that worked for me -
    lower carb items seem to be lesser in calories as well,
    protein helps keep me satisfied longer,
    exercising daily makes me feel better & ups my calorie total,
    water, water, water - there are SO MANY HEALTH BENEFITS and why it aids in weight loss so DO IT!
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love My Fitness Pal. I have been a member since last year and I have lost 21 pounds so far. I love it. However, exercise is really important also. You can eat good but you will burn fat by exercising. If you really want it then you will achieve it. I hope you have a beautiful wedding day.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's a great tool, but the person using it determines it's success or failure.

MFP gives you great guidelines, but you have to follow them and stay in your calorie range in order for it to work.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    MFP doesnt fail...the person using it does. The work comes from you. MFP is an awesome tracking tool and the support is great. You get out of it what you put into it :smile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    It works if you work it! It takes time to get your nutrition right so make small changes and adjust where needed and you will come up with the right formula for yourself. There is no one size fits all! Good luck to you!!!!
  • Ndgo22
    Options
    I agree! Being completely honest and entering EVERYTHING I consume (and exercises done) has been the hardest part for me. However, doing so makes me really think about what I eat. It especially gives me a chance to decide if I'm eating at that moment because I need to, or if I'm only emotionally eating.

Tremendously helpful!