Potluck Rant

simona1972
simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Today's potluck day at work. I spent most of yesterday making a low fat eggplant parmesan. I actually packed up my own lunch and snacks to bring today but left them at home thinking it might be insulting to others who cooked for everyone today. That was the DUMBEST thing I couldve done.

I checked the table and there is NOTHING healthy! Mostly junk food. Aside from my eggplant, the only other healthy thing I saw was rice. There are no veggies and no fruit. We do have an abundance of cookies, cakes and chips though!

I know people brought it what they could but Im pretty irked by this. Mostly because I went against my gut instinct and left my food at home.

I think I'll have to skip this and just buy my lunch today.

Replies

• cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    i dunno but your eggplant parmesan sure does sound good.....
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I always eat my normal, big breakfast and bring my snacks to work (as usual) on potluck day. I tend to nibble on the offerings...1 meatball, three cheese cubes, a tablespoon of spinich dip with 4 whole wheat crackers, etc...kind of thing. And yes, I log it all. But I'd love some of that eggplant parmesan too!
  • I am a manager in a department full of women (office environment). Our pot lucks were always an abundance of cakes, cookies, and chips/ crackers. Me and a couple of the other girls started suggesting we do healthly luncheons. It really caught on and every one enjoys it, feels better and doesn't fall asleep at their desk ;)

Our favorite "cake" to celebrate bdays is a Fat Free Dessert
    Fat Free Cool Whip
    Angel Food Cake
    Strawberries or Manderian Oranges
    Layer them in a pretty truffle dish - YUM-O
  • simona1972
    My eggplant was the 1st thing gone! I managed to get a piece of it. I took other items but I know I wont eat them - took them more for show. Funny how I just cant bring myself to eat this stuff anymore. Typically I'd have 2 plates at my desk...one for food, the other for the sweets. Glad those days are over!

Melissa...that cake is the same one I make at home when I want dessert :) Even my nieces and nephew love it!
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    would it be to much trouble to ask for your eggplant parmesan recipe?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Everytime someone brings healthy stuff here for potluck it is the only thing left at the end of the day. So everyone stopped bring it. Unless its summer and then one person will bring a fresh fruit salad. I am just happy I switched teams and this one does a potluck about two times a year unlike my last one which was once a month.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    My eggplant was the 1st thing gone! I managed to get a piece of it. I took other items but I know I wont eat them - took them more for show. Funny how I just cant bring myself to eat this stuff anymore. Typically I'd have 2 plates at my desk...one for food, the other for the sweets. Glad those days are over!

Melissa...that cake is the same one I make at home when I want dessert :) Even my nieces and nephew love it!

Simona- I had a potluck last week too, it was horrible. I ate what I brought...and that was the only thing on my plate because everything else was cookies, chips, salds filled with mayo....ugh. And I had people saying rude remarks on how I'm apparently too good to eat the cookies these days, and how I'm barely eating anything. Oh my word! The one lady was telling me "here you need a cookie"... "No, its okay- I do not want one right now". "well here, take one for later" "oh no, its okay, I don't need one". "oh come on, take one..here..take two...some to take home" "No thank you". And honestly I finally took the dang cookies so that she'd QUIT! I mean, I said no... what more do you need me to say? Needless to say I threw them in the trash. But, I wish I would have brought my healthy lunch that day too... luckily I had my snacks to help fill me up that morning. I just get so frustrated when people try to push "junk" food on me. I mean, I'm not trying to push my veggie tray on them...because if I did I would look rude like I'm trying to push my eating habits on everyone else. Anyways, end of rant. I'm still trying to figure out a way to tell people No so that 1) I don't look rude and 2) so that they understand No means No.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    would it be to much trouble to ask for your eggplant parmesan recipe?

We'll all be looking!
    :flowerforyou:
  • simona1972
    My eggplant recipe is from Cooking Light magazine....I make my own sauce though - I dont follow the recipe for theirs...

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=332680
This discussion has been closed.