Training for a 5K - Additional Ideas Needed

Options
Good morning all!

I have a goal race I would like to run in May and would like to come up with a training plan. I have done Couch to 5K in the past - a problem I have with it is that when I finish, I can run the distance but sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. I understand I will run slower at first but using that program in the past I just can't seem to pick up any speed even over time.

Any other suggestions of training programs? I am not in great shape. About 25lbs overweight and could probably run ONE 12 minute mile right now. I haven't run any distance since September/October 2012.

Thanks!

Soph

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about C25K.

I used to run 5K through 1/2 marathon competitively. Intervals are your friends. That's basically all that I did to prepare.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    i'm not familiar with c25k, but here's what you need to know: it's not always about distance running. yes you should run longer distances to get your cardio stamina up, but you need to do other sorts of workouts. here's the types of workouts you should be doing throughout the week

1) distance runs: not for time, but at a nice, steady pace so that you can run a certain distance (and i would suggest doing distances longer than 5k).
    2) tempo run: not worrying about the distance but just running at your ideal "race speed" for a certain amout of time. start at like 5 mins and increase as you go on with your training.
    3) Interval training: full out sprints for a short amount of time (20-30 seconds) then slowing down and walking until your heart rate slows down...and repeat!!
    4) cross training: do something other that running!! elliptical, bike, row, climb stairs, rollerblade, whatever!
    5) i would also suggest lifting. stronger muscles=faster runner!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Really helpful. I plan to alternate types of runs and add some strength training in March. I need to wait for my daughter's first birthday to get a more regular babysitter.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I believe speed comes with time. I have never done tempo runs, intervals, etc... I run by how my body feels and every race I have gotten faster. I did C25K to start running and have utilized it coming back from injuries. Also, not sure if you ever ran a race before, but just the adrenoline of the actual race makes you faster... at least it has for me.
    I believe running consistently is the key to speed.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also have never done intervals even though I have heard they do help to increase speed. My speed has improved with time. As I began to run longer distances, my shorter ones became faster. After I ran a 10k I noticed a huge improvement in my 5k time. Since running a half marathon, my 10k has improved greatly. I was running a 10-10:30 mile before and now I am running a 9-9:30 minute mile(longer runs - 6 miles or longer). I can push a 8:30 min mile on shorter runs(3 miles). I ended c25k running about a 10 minute mile.