Lunch Ideas

Options
I work crazy hours, so when I get home, it's sometimes midnight, and no time to eat..

So I'm looking for healthy, low cal lunches to take to work. I do have access to a fridge and a microwave..

I need lunch (like noon) idea's and lunch dinner time idea's.. I only have 30 minute lunches, and work in a mall, witha huge food court.. very dangerous to not take my lunch...

So can anyone give me some quick meal idea's..something I can prepare the night before in 15-20 minutes

Replies

• crystalpistolball
    Options
    I stick to lean cuisines and smart ones for lunch at work. Keeps me on track. Keep healthy snacks around as well to keep you from being tempted to overeat at mealtime.
  • kkochend
    kkochend Posts: 27
    Options
    I like to make those Bird's Eye Voila skillet meals (feeds 2). Huge varity in flavors and almost all of them are under 300 calories/serving. My favorite so far is the Sweet and Sour Chicken. Stouffer's also makes this and most are under 400 calories per serving.

I make those a lot for dinner. I find them filing and chocked full of veggies! Takes no more than 18 mins to prepare.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the recipe board yesterday. I like it and you can make and take it with you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/88182-tuna-or-chicken-salad-lettuce-wraps

Some lunch/dinners:

a nice salad with a pan seared salmon or talipia (4 oz) (or even a prepackaged tuna steak) on top
    Some homemade fajita (lean steak sliced thin, grilled with all color peppers and an onion and some tomatos) No burritos shells for me, but maybe for you. And maybe some light sour cream and 2% shredded cheese.

Making myself hungry! :smile:
  • bememorable
    Options
    To get a lot of nutrition and fill up... make a sandwich with Ezekiel Bread (full of nutrition) add honey, natural nut butter and a banana. Drink Bolt House drinks... they have loads of fruit and/or soya protein... watch how much you drink though. This is a good way to fill up, with fiber, vitamins and not feel too full. Make or buy yogurt parfait's berries, yogurt and granola. Lara bars are whole food bars that taste great! Boiled eggs are high in protein and low in calories and keep you full. Chop two on a bought garden salad from the food court and add low fat dressing. Hope this helps:)
  • heather19th
    Options
    Deli Creation Hot Sandwhichs. They have flatbread ones too now. I always eat ham & swiss or ham & chedder. But they have chicken, roast beef, steak and turkey. I like them alot! They are 420 cal, comes in a box u find by the meat and cheese area, it gives u the sub bun, meat, cheese, light mayo and mustard.
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. Grocery shopping tomorrow, making a list.. lol
  • kizzymitchell
    kizzymitchell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with all those frozen dinners, high in sodium and preservatives. Eat them if you have to. I bring in a loaf of healthy choice high fiber wheat bread. I buy sliced turkey breast or low sodium ham, and 2% cheese slice. and make sadwhiches. no mayo. mustard instead or I toast the bread and have it like a grilled cheese. Or I will bring in a salad with Chicken I grilled Sunday night, and I love the all seasons asian sesame dressing they have in walmart, it's like 30 calories and 5 calories from fat. put that on your salad with grilled chicken and mandarins. It is great. these meals are less then 300 calories. Good luck....
  • yogamazinglife
    yogamazinglife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Make a really big bake or stew on your day off and as soon as it's cooled, pot it into tupperware in correct portion sizes. Stick the first few in the fridge and any after that in the freezer so they don't go off. You can stuff them full of protein and veg and anything you want. about.com have a really good recipe analyzer so you can work out the nutrient content per serving which allows you to add it easily here. Last weekend I made a Chicken Mushroom bake with spaghetti and broccoli, only 250 cals per serving. You can a big pot of chilli or a large veggie lasagna. Then just eat it up in the microwave at work. If you were really into it, you could make two seperate things, one to bring as leftovers for your lunch and another for your lunch/dinners. Any recipe that says it serves 6 will last you the whole week then.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing about the pre-packaged meals. I didn't want to judge, everyone has their own thing. :smile:

Being brought up in the 'instant gratification' age we all reach for the quick win. If those meals work for you and you have laid out the nutrional minefield of them in your daily life and in your goals then go for it. I still tend to focus on calories - fat and sugar mostly. But if I find something ready made that suits me I'll eat it. :smile:
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of chicken salad (high in protein and low in fat) but if you want somthing quick I've also become a fan of Gardenburger (Blackbean/Chipotle) nuke it and it takes a little over 2 minutes with 3 grams of fat and 0 sat fat 100 calories (per burger) a good amount of Potassium and 5 grams of protein. (it's what I'm having for lunch today)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm having a BLT. On 35 calorie bread with green leaf lettuce, 2 sliced tomato, and some green leaf lettuce. I toast my bread. It's right under 160 calories. I am also accompanying it with some multi-grain pringles.