Zero Calorie Sweetener vs. Natural Sugar

I myself, along with many others, drink their morning coffee with a zero calorie sweetener, Sweet-N-Low, Splenda, etc. All I hear is how bad they are for you. Zero calorie sweeteners confuse the body and make you gain weight around the midsection. "They give you CANCER! "

I have been thinking to just going with regular sugar. It's only 15 calories a tablespoon, so it's not terribly bad as long as it's used in moderation. I obliviously wouldn't want to waste my calories on non-food items. I want to eat my calories, not drink them. Pretty much all I drink is water and my morning cup of Joe.

I don't know, what are you guys doing?

Replies

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    I use Splenda or flavoured stevia drops, but I try to cut out extra sugar wherever I can. And the studies that tell you how bad the stuff is usually involve extreme doses. Everything is bad for you in extreme doses. I'm not going to worry about one packet of Splenda in my coffee.
  • I use Truvia or Stevia. I did some reading in a fitness book and that artificial stuff is actually quite scary!! Truvia and Stevia are natural sugars, but not refined like the regular white stuff. It's kind of like white flour. Companies take that good grain/wheat and bleach it to preserve it and give it a longer shelf life. It's the same with white sugar (minus the bleaching, I believe) Stevia and Truvia won't spike your blood sugar, won't give you any calories and taste like white sugar! It's the best switch I never made!!
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Go with an organic sugar (not the refined, white stuff). 15 calories isn't going to break your diet, plus it tastes SO much better than artificial sweeteners.
  • Sugar is 15 calories per teaspoon. I also misread it the first time I saw it.
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    I use stevia.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    I always use the real thing. I figure if I'm using it in moderation i'm okay. I'd rather eat real sugar than chemically made or altered 'fake' kinds. Just my thoughts though.

I also found out that one of the things I bought uses some sort of artificial sweetener but I will finish what I bought of it and just not buy it again. I'm not that big of a stickler.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Everything is bad for you and causes cancer (or so they say so eventrually).....I guess moderation is key!
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    I use sugar, since I only have 1 or 2 cups per day the 15 cals per is not a big deal.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    I use Truvia or Stevia. I did some reading in a fitness book and that artificial stuff is actually quite scary!! Truvia and Stevia are natural sugars, but not refined like the regular white stuff. It's kind of like white flour. Companies take that good grain/wheat and bleach it to preserve it and give it a longer shelf life. It's the same with white sugar (minus the bleaching, I believe) Stevia and Truvia won't spike your blood sugar, won't give you any calories and taste like white sugar! It's the best switch I never made!!

^^^Great info. I use these myself and what she said is very true. All natural sweeteners and they are 0 calorie! :smile:
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Zero calorie sweeteners confuse the body and make you gain weight around the midsection.

I thought confusing my body helped me loose weight
  • Chrisplayer136
    Chrisplayer136 Posts: 196 Member
    I found this, a lot of good information here.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    If I'm about to sweeten something I use sugar. I can't stand the taste of sweeteners (tried a lot) and one teaspoon of a sugar won't hurt.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 279 Member
    I used to use Sweet n low, but once I got off of it (yes it was kind of like an addiction) It gives me a headache if I use too much. I can only have at most 1 diet coke in a day (I used to drink 8 or more :noway: ) But now for tea and coffee I will use a packet or 2 of either Stevia in the raw (or truvia) or possibly splenda. I feel much better.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    I would personally rather just have the natural sugar then something that may (or may not) have unknown side effects. If you're only having it in your coffee in the morning, it's such a small amount why not go for the real thing. I like the way real sugar tastes A LOT better.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I don't have any concerns about low to moderate consumption of artificial sweeteners.
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Have you tried honey or maple sugar? both all natural with similar stats to real sugar. Honey has some added immune benefits.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    I don't have any concerns about low to moderate consumption of artificial sweeteners.

REPORTED!
  • Love myself some raw honey every once in a while, but I try and stay away from anything processed ATM. That includes white sugar and artificial sweeteners. Stevia drops suffice sometimes.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Love myself some raw honey every once in a while, but I try and stay away from anything processed ATM. That includes white sugar and artificial sweeteners. Stevia drops suffice sometimes.

You should be careful with ATM you can get sick
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    With coffee I always use sugar in the raw.. I like it.. With everything else I try to use to Madhava Agave Nectar.. Its pretty yummy I eat it with my oatmeal in the morning.. or honey.. When I was pregnant they told me NOT to use artificial sweetners because of how bad they are.. so I just stayed away from all that. Not 100% sure about the sugars I use now but seems to work for me :-) more organic.. hope this helps :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: