question about weight lifting

Options
For about a month now I have brought weight lifting into my exercise program. I do a three day rotation. I do shoulders, biceps and legs one day, then chest, triceps and legs the next day, and then I do back and legs on the third day. After the third day I take a day off, and then start my rotation again after the day off. I spend about 40- 60 minutes lifting on the weight machines, and then I do about 30-60 minutes doing cardio. I am new to lifting weights, so I am just wondering if I am doing this right. I know I have a lot to learn about lifting, so any advice would be great :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should not be working your legs every day. They need time to recovery min 48 hours between workouts. you could try a 3 day rotation consisting without working the same muscle group. See below as an example.
    for the first 4-6 weeks you could:
    Day 1 Legs and shoulders
    Day 2 Back and Biceps
    Day 3 Chest and triceps
    Day 4 rest
    After week 6 change up the exercises and switch to:
    Day 1 Chest and back
    Day 2 Biceps and triceps
    Day 3 shoulders and legs
  • nikkolatwell
    Options
    I would recommend Body for Life they have a great weight trainign program it really works great for my husband and good for me.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see someone posting about weight lifting! I don't know if you've discovered/explored this website, but I like to recommend www.stumptuous.com to anyone with interest in getting stronger. Check out "Workout ideas" under the Training menu.

That is a lot of leg work to do three days in a row. I'd probably split it up if you are feeling fatigued in the lower body. Otherwise I think you are off to a great start.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Weight training is a great idea, but you seem to be over working your muscles.The idea that erickirb gave is awesome, because you do need to rest your muscles.

They do need atleast a 48hr rest before, because its within that rest period, where your body heals and works on building your muscles.

Good luck