Losing weight and breastfeeding

Does or has anyone else had trouble losing weight while breastfeeding? My daughter is 8 months old and I have been trying to lose the baby weight hard for three months now. The scale just won't budge. I haven't gained or lost any weight. Not even an ounce! I have my calories set to losing a pound a week and also add back in extra calories to account what I am burning from breast feeding. I exercise 3 to 4 times a week with a heart rate monitor and log everything I eat. I don't get it. I feel like my body is holding on to the weight for like fat stores or something. I also have to note that before I got pregnant I lost 35 pounds on mfp and I have been doing the same things as before. I am starting to get very discouraged! Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Many women's bodies hold onto the fat. Other women are able to start losing weight, but their supply suffers. Just keep yourself in good shape, and once you've weaned, the weight will start to come off again. Also, don't forget that you need extra calories to produce milk!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    I would stop counting calories and start focusing on nutrition. Look at the ratio of healthy fat:saturated fat, the ratio of fat grams to fiber grams, and the number of servings of leafy greens, other vegetables, and fruit (fresh or frozen only, not canned.) Also look at the timing of when you consume calories vs. when you use the most.

When I was breastfeeding I ate all day long but still lost about 10% of my body weight by having mini-meals instead of regular sized ones.

I miss bench pressing the baby! have fun.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 476 Member
    I have sooo been there. My body refused to lose the weight while I was breast feeding with both. It started slowly dropping off after I added solids into their diet at 6 months but having to wait was really frustrating.

(Edit to say: this was eating a clean healthy diet and with exercise 5 days a week lol)
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement. That makes me feel a little better. So many women talk about how they lose weight so well while bf and I dont understand why its not happening to me. It makes me feel better that I am not alone!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    I never lost a flipping pound during breastfeeding and I nursed both of my babies for a year each.
  • Try the Raw Vegan Power !!! healthy for the mother and the baby.
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    Glad I'm not the only one!
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    I'm going through the same thing. My daughter is also 8 months old too. No matter what I do the weight seems too hard to lose. I'm breastfeeding and supplementing but nothing seems to work. I am stuck. I feel so disappointed and faustrated at times. I workout daily and watching my calorie intake but nothing seems to work.

I desperately needs help. I have 40 lbs to get rid of.
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Where r u located.