Significance

Options
okremix
okremix Posts: 38 Member
What happens when you go over on protien on a daily basis...is this a bad thing?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of things you need to know first.

if you're talking about the default protein values on MFP (I.E. 15%) then going over by a few % isn't really a problem and in many cases is desired. But if you're talking about long term of say over 40%, then yes, there are issues and complications that can arise.

Namely, the body will break down extra protein and eliminate some components, the extra will be stored as fat, and the waste will be excreted as uric acid which needs to be "cut" with a base (calcium in humans), thus not only does this damage the kidneys in the long term (uric acid damages human organs), but it has a leeching affect on the bones, because bones are where the body stores calcium. Also, the process of converting amino acids to their base components forces the liver into overdrdive, which can have negative side effects in the REALLY long term (like years).

This is long term stuff though, you're talking pretty large doses of protein over long periods (lots of months and years) before serious side effects usually occur. Another side effect is kidney stones, which can be brutal (so I've heard, never had one thank you very much!)!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have my protein goals set to 25%, which (before exercise calories) is 103 grams of protein- it's not unusual for me to go over... is that super bad (aka is that "too much")? :huh: