Isn't eating back exercise calories defeating the purpose?

Options
13»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    l5qA6Qd.png
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The idea is to be at a slight caloric deficit in order to lose weight.

I also find that intermediate fasting can be a very effective way to drop the pounds. In additional to cleaning up your diet, "when" you eat is important too. For example if you change your eating schedule to where you eat all of your meals within an 8 hour window, you will lose weight.

Outside of the 8 hour window, consume nothing else but water. So breakfast, lunch and dinner all have to be eaten which 8 hours. Within 2 weeks, you'll start seeing the weight come off.

You'll preserve your muscle and still consistently drop fat using this method. It takes a while to get used to. It's really effective though. It's been just what I needed to get ripped and not lose any strength in the process.

http://quick-fat-loss.info

Wow... this post started out with such promise, then went right down the toilet. The first line is right, the rest is crap.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Isn't eating back exercise calories defeating the purpose?
    tumblr_mb4p56YgHZ1rfja63o1_500.gif

As others have said, MFP is set up so that you are already at a deficit at your daily calorie goal - so if you eat to goal WITHOUT any exercise, you lose weight. When you workout but don't eat back those calories you burned off, you are created a HUGE deficit, which is not good, and can lead to all sorts of problems long term. And many many many people have found that at that level, weight loss eventually stalls, they get frustrated, tired, burnt out, cranky, and give up.

Been there, done that, except for the giving up part - I found this thread that many others have already posted, and have had great success and plenty of food ever since. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • GoneKona
    Options
    Being healthy is great, but I think most people bust their butt at the gym because they want to get healthy AND lose weight.

There we go. I've never heard someone say, "I want to work out so that I can be healthier" without also saying that they want to lose weight. I know I'm doing this whole bullcrap to lose weight! I don't count calories because I want to be healthy -- I am healthy. I know working out makes me feel good, but it's also supposed to make me lose weight. Right? Yes, being strong is sexy, but I personally think skinny is also sexy. I want to be skinnier, and I think I can be strong, too.

How bout this for simplicity: If you don't eat back the calories, you will lose weight slower? Does that help?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Alright most people have good points.. and I'm understanding how the whole mfp system works better. (also to the guy who's lost 311 lbs, that's just freaking awesome)

So now I have another question... MFP has my caloric deficit set to 630 a day. I set it to lose 2 lbs per week. If 3500 calories is about a pound, shouldn't my deficit be at 1000 per day? I know I can't eat under 1200, and I wouldn't want to, but I can make the deficit bigger through burning calories exercising. Or does are there other reasons factoring in (I have about 40 lbs to lose, and I'm a 5'3" female), that would make a 1000 cal deficit too much?

I wold suggest that a 1,000 deficit (which = 2lb a week roughly) is too much with the amount you have to lose and the 630 is fine. Remember, this is included in your base so eat most of your exercise calories back otherwise you will be making the deficit too large.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The idea is to be at a slight caloric deficit in order to lose weight.

I also find that intermediate fasting can be a very effective way to drop the pounds. In additional to cleaning up your diet, "when" you eat is important too. For example if you change your eating schedule to where you eat all of your meals within an 8 hour window, you will lose weight.

Outside of the 8 hour window, consume nothing else but water. So breakfast, lunch and dinner all have to be eaten which 8 hours. Within 2 weeks, you'll start seeing the weight come off.

You'll preserve your muscle and still consistently drop fat using this method. It takes a while to get used to. It's really effective though. It's been just what I needed to get ripped and not lose any strength in the process.

http://quick-fat-loss.info

Wow... this post started out with such promise, then went right down the toilet. The first line is right, the rest is crap.

^^yep. IF is not some magical method of losing weight - it is a way for some people to adhere to a caloric deficit and fit it in with their lifestyle.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Alright most people have good points.. and I'm understanding how the whole mfp system works better. (also to the guy who's lost 311 lbs, that's just freaking awesome)

So now I have another question... MFP has my caloric deficit set to 630 a day. I set it to lose 2 lbs per week. If 3500 calories is about a pound, shouldn't my deficit be at 1000 per day? I know I can't eat under 1200, and I wouldn't want to, but I can make the deficit bigger through burning calories exercising. Or does are there other reasons factoring in (I have about 40 lbs to lose, and I'm a 5'3" female), that would make a 1000 cal deficit too much?

Based on the ticker on your page you've already lost 11 of that 43. With only 32 lbs to your goal, 2 lbs/wk is too much. Change your goal to a pound a week.
  • mdh185
    mdh185 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What if I just eat my exercise calories but don't eat my BMR calories? Will that work?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What if I just eat my exercise calories but don't eat my BMR calories? Will that work?
    So you're saying you want to eat your EAT cals?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Your BMR is likely to be in excess of 1,800 calories - that is too large of a deficit. Plus, you are missing NEAT (non-exercise activity).
  • mdh185
    Options
    My sense of sarcasm just does not work on MFP. :-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say Taso FTW. The rejected stamp is awesome.

...and I agree with everyone...

Use the site as it is set up. Don't over-think this. Re-evaluate in a month. In the meantime, educate yourself. There are lots of conflicting ways to figure your calories. This site does a good job if you use it honestly and don't try to be too aggressive when setting your weight-loss Goal here. Keep this in mind when using the tools to set up your goals:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You are responsible for choosing an accurate activity level. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have any type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My sense of sarcasm just does not work on MFP. :-)

They *really* need a sarcasm font here!
  • mdh185
    Options
    Yes they do.