Replies

• hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Regarding DVDs you will want Skogg System as, out of all the purely DVD based programs out there, it is the best at illustrating proper form. That and anything you can find by Pavel Tsatsouline.
    [/quote]

I received my Skogg DVDs this week ... of all the options I've screened, this is the tops! ... agree whole-heartedly with the recommendation.
  • majinuni
    Options
    Wow, theres a lot to know about kettlebells that I didn't realize! Any of you kettlebell gurus know the Paul Katami dvd? I used it yesterday for the first time (with clearly a too-light kettlebell, I will order some new ones) and I felt that it was EXCELLENT exercise for my quads, hamstrings and core. Is there some reason I should not be using his program?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    After a brief check on YouTube, Paul Katami appears to be an idiot.

If you do that stuff with a real kettlebell, you're going to hurt yourself.

His swing is horrible.

Edit to add: It's ok for a workout, by all means, and if you enjoy it that's great. Just that what I would class as kettlebell training is something completely different, don't follow the weight selection advice on here and then attempt that workout.
    It would still be worth your while to check out some of the swing examples people have been posting on here.

He's another trainer that's just picked one up as a gimmick, then designed a normal aerobic workout around it. There's nothing wrong with aerobics if that's what you enjoy.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your post!!! I'm getting me a set of kettle bells...sounds super cool. Jillian Michaels has a set in Wal-Mart that I like. Right now I do cardio 5 to 6 days a week...how many days per wk would you suggest using the kettle bells? What are the cal burns like?

You'll substitute this for some of your cardio. I tend to burn about 220 to 240 calories in a 26 to 28 minute kettlebell workout. I have the GofFit Kettlebell basics workout.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Looking at these workouts on you tube shows me why a lot of people are thinking of choosing lighter kettlebells. hmmmm.

I guess whatever works for you is good, and I never want to say that there is a wrong kind of workout, but I hugely recommend you check out hard style kettlebell drills. The aerobic workouts are fine, but traditional kettlebell style is (at least for me) so enjoyable because its so unlike everything else on the market
  • sllurie
    sllurie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The most effective KB exercise for weight loss and toning is the swing (it is also the most fundamental move of all KB exercises). I would be very careful about using You Tube to learn unless the person demonstrating the move is a certified KB trainer.

I suggest getting the DVD (or Kindle version) of Hard Style Kettlebell Swing by Tracy and Mark Reifkind. They give incredibly detailed instructions and show you step by step. I went to a KB trainer and I don't think her instructions were anywhere near as thorough as the DVD. The DVD also has 2 workout sessions on it. Learning proper form is imperative. You can really hurt yourself using a KB if you do not use proper form.

If you do 3 - 30 minutes work out sessions a week you will see incredible results. Good Luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    This thread is very disturbing. There have been numerous articles published by RKC certified instructors on starting weights and YOU SHOULD NOT BE STARTING WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN 15 POUNDS, PERIOD. Unless you are elderly, or are doing it for physical therapy/rehab reasons, forget anything less than 15 pounds exists. PERIOD. Ignore anyone who got their advice from Jillian or Bob Harper. Stick only to RKC Certified kettlebell instructors, not these "fad" gurus who KNOW NOTHING. You will get injured following their tips/advice as you progress.

Do.Not.Ever.Get.Any.Kettlebell.Lighter.Than.15.Pounds.

For some reason, this response brought out lots of laughter ... I wholeheartedly agree. While I like Jill and Bob, I've never seen them use a kettlebell and they aren't my trainers so best to get someone who knows how to use a kettlebell efficiently!
  • majinuni
    Options
    After a brief check on YouTube, Paul Katami appears to be an idiot.

If you do that stuff with a real kettlebell, you're going to hurt yourself.

His swing is horrible.

Edit to add: It's ok for a workout, by all means, and if you enjoy it that's great. Just that what I would class as kettlebell training is something completely different, don't follow the weight selection advice on here and then attempt that workout.
    It would still be worth your while to check out some of the swing examples people have been posting on here.

He's another trainer that's just picked one up as a gimmick, then designed a normal aerobic workout around it. There's nothing wrong with aerobics if that's what you enjoy.

Thank you for the info!! I appreciate it, as I have no idea about kettlebells. His workout was great for me so I will probably keep doing it, but i will also research some of the names on this thread and see where I might want to go as I progress. :-)
  • Jo2926
    Options
    For some reason, this response brought out lots of laughter ... I wholeheartedly agree. While I like Jill and Bob, I've never seen them use a kettlebell and they aren't my trainers so best to get someone who knows how to use a kettlebell efficiently!

This might make you laugh too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PG3BSkBPiQ
  • Jo2926
    Options
    Thank you for the info!! I appreciate it, as I have no idea about kettlebells. His workout was great for me so I will probably keep doing it, but i will also research some of the names on this thread and see where I might want to go as I progress. :-)

Try this, I like this guy for showing form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_nqSnM2S8