Personal Trainer Certification... Where to start?

Options
I am interested in getting my fitness certification so I can become a trainer. I have been searching the web for schools, but there are so many of them I am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions? ACE, NASM, NSCA, ACSM??

I would really appreciate any advice you could give! Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd call the gym I wanted to work at or look at respected trainers in my area to see what they have.

I'd bet that the better ones are carrying NSCA-CSCS (which requires a degree in physiology or other human kinesiology-type degree)
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I'd call the gym I wanted to work at or look at respected trainers in my area to see what they have.

I'd bet that the better ones are carrying NSCA-CSCS (which requires a degree in physiology or other human kinesiology-type degree)

agreed...anyone can call themselves a 'trainer'. Someone with a CSCS actually knows their stuff
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I did my certifcations years ago, but ACE and NATA were tops at the time. Both had tons of resrouces they could mail (yes, that long ago) and you can check out their websites for materials and certification requirements.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the quick responses!
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    International Sports Sciences Association, its all online and you have 8 months to complete it.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Any other thoughts??