Needing Input on how we feel about "Diet Aids"

Options
We always see these commercials with the wonder pills, drinks, powders, magic sprinkles, leprachauns, unicorns...whatever. But I do sometimes wonder if any of these things work...maybe not as they say (because they always seem to mention how results are NOT typical)...but maybe as a little booster??? Any thoughts on this???

Replies

• bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes and Santa himself will deliver it to your door. Eat right, drink a lot of water and exercise. But boy do I wish Leprechauns did exist.
  • robjenga
    robjenga Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I drink Slim Fast™. Not religiously...but if I know i will be having a heavier dinner, I will have a slim fast for lunch. OR...just for the vitamins...nutrients...its an easy breakfast...along with some fruit. There are people that either love it...or hate it. People ***** about people that use it...saying its horrible....then there are the people that say its fine...and it works.

Bottom line...at least for me...it works. I love it. And I'm learning to eat healthier...make better choices and watch my portion size...whether I am using Slim Fast™ or not.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    We always see these commercials with the wonder pills, drinks, powders, magic sprinkles, leprachauns, unicorns...whatever. But I do sometimes wonder if any of these things work...maybe not as they say (because they always seem to mention how results are NOT typical)...but maybe as a little booster??? Any thoughts on this???

No. None of them work.

Some do seem to help in the short term but that is primarily water weight, or setting you up on a huge calories deficit that cannot be sustained long term. As soon as you stop the supplement, the weight comes right back, because you are eating like you were before.

The best thing to do is learn to eat right, manage portion sizes, and exercise.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As I just posted on another topic about diet pills... Think about it this way - if they worked, would we have an obesity problem?

The only long term solution is the good old fashioned way. Learn healthy eating habits and improve health with exercise.

Sure, you might be able to lose some weight temporarily but you may also experience side effects and what happens when you stop taking them? You haven't learned how to eat right or improve your health through exericse, so you're very likely to gain the weight back. Don't waste your money.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So very true all of you...I have always felt this way. I changed my way of eating and living back in 2006--started eating healthier, excersizing, etc...junk food was a distant thought. Then I moved here...ha ha. I haven't gained all of my weight back over the past year...but the fact that I gained some of it, freaks me out!!! I was honestly just curious. I haven't ever tried them...I just wondered if anyone out there had, and how had it done??? But...I guess I was on the right frame of mind MinnieinMaine... If I could take a magic pill to make me look like Kim Kardashian...I do believe that we would all be walking around looking just like her. HA HA.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    The kicker about all those diet aids is in the small print. Almost every miracle pill has a disclaimer to the tune of "best results when used with a healthy diet and exercise plan." Well, heck, if I had a healthy diet and exercise plan, I wouldn't need a diet aid, right?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete cynic when it comes to these things. My thought is the only ones that are likely to do anything are stimulants (or as we used to call it back in the day - speed). Good for weight loss, horrible for your body. And the Alli type fat blockers. Blocks good and bad fat absorption so lowers calorie intake. Good for weight loss if you don't mind the anal leakage, bad for your body which needs healthy fats.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    There are a few very effective diet aids

Exercise
    willpower

Aids itself is also a pretty effective diet aid
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    One diet aid that helped me in the beginning is an appetite suppressant called Adicor made by Kat-A-Lyst. I used it as an "aid" not a miracle pill. I only took one in the morning and one in the afternoon. They helped suppress appetite and gave a little boost in energy. You don't want to take them later in the day. They helped me adjust to eating smaller portions, and kept me from binge eating in the evenings. I could eat on them just fine, and I would stop when full. I used it for 6 months last year, ate around 1600-1800 cals, worked out every other day and lost 25lbs. I then got tired of weighing everything, gave up and gained it all back. This time around I am doing it on my own without pills. I can't say enough about this company's products though, they also have 3 other products I use, a joint supplement, and womens vitamin called "For Her", and a recovery workout mix called Glutacor . I highly recommend them all.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    Any thoughts? Yes. Avoid them like the plague. Just eat right and get moving. No shortcuts.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I hear if you drink unicorn tears you'll hit your GW by the next morning. I haven't managed to find one yet, so I just try to work out and meet my calorie requirement.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I hear if you drink unicorn tears you'll hit your GW by the next morning. I haven't managed to find one yet, so I just try to work out and meet my calorie requirement.

TOO FUNNY!!!! You guys are awesome...glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I appreciate the feedback though!!!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just did a detox and cleanse program, that helped me sheld a few pounds of water weight. Other than that, I take a daily pro-biotic supplement. I have tried and failed with every type of diet and weight loss supplement there is. They do give you an energy boost, some may even help suppress your appetite. But the reality is, that unless you put forth the effort, they won't give you lasting results.