Microwave chocolate cake (not the 3-2-1 cake)

Options
PrinnyMartel
PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
Something chocolate lovers might want to try~

This is basically a thicker version of the 3-2-1 cake. I'm a serious chocoholic, and I didn't like the "watered down" taste that came from mixing devils food with angel food to get the eggs in the mix. So I spent some time on google and found this!

http://thedancingdonut.blogspot.com/2011/10/2-ingredient-chocolate-pumpkin.html

It tastes waaay better (to me at least:blushing: ) and is super moist. I've only made it once, and might do more tweaking in the future, but this it what works best for now:

6 tbsp of chocolate cake mix (I know it sounds like a lot, but it doesn't yield that much)
2 tbsp pumpkin
1 tbsp water. (If you want it thicker, skip the water and use 4 tbsp pumkin instead)
Mix it all up and stick it in the microwave for about 70-80 seconds, and viola!

It comes out to 139 calories (150 if you use the more pumpkin variation) Top with whatever you like.
if I have a lot of wiggle room at the end of the day, I'll just use a serving of Pillsbury frosting, and it's still under 300, whoopee~

Replies

• kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That sounds delish! I have tried the whole cake mix with the can of pumpkin, baked. I like this because it's a single serving though... wonder if using egg white instead of water will make it lighter, and sneak in some protein. Thanks for posting. :happy:
    Something chocolate lovers might want to try~

This is basically a thicker version of the 3-2-1 cake. I'm a serious chocoholic, and I didn't like the "watered down" taste that came from mixing devils food with angel food to get the eggs in the mix. So I spent some time on google and found this!

http://thedancingdonut.blogspot.com/2011/10/2-ingredient-chocolate-pumpkin.html

It tastes waaay better (to me at least:blushing: ) and is super moist. I've only made it once, and might do more tweaking in the future, but this it what works best for now:

6 tbsp of chocolate cake mix (I know it sounds like a lot, but it doesn't yield that much)
    2 tbsp pumpkin
    1 tbsp water. (If you want it thicker, skip the water and use 4 tbsp pumkin instead)
    Mix it all up and stick it in the microwave for about 70-80 seconds, and viola!

It comes out to 139 calories (150 if you use the more pumpkin variation) Top with whatever you like.
    if I have a lot of wiggle room at the end of the day, I'll just use a serving of Pillsbury frosting, and it's still under 300, whoopee~
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've done the whole cake with Devil's Food mix and pure pumpkin, too and it's DELISH! Single serving is even better for cravings so you don't eat an entire cake! LOL
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the calories are right? I just mixed up a batch of 3-2-1 cake and 3 tbsp of chocolate mixed w/ angel food cake = 110 calories...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    How is this different than a normal cake of similar size (like a cupcake)? Most cakes I make have similar calorie counts. Is the appeal that it's less work or that it makes a single serving?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    How is this different than a normal cake of similar size (like a cupcake)? Most cakes I make have similar calorie counts. Is the appeal that it's less work or that it makes a single serving?

For me, both.

I have a problem with stuff like cookies (or cake): I don't buy them, because if they're in the house I'll literally eat ALL of it in one go. Having the option to make one decent serving, with no leftovers, is pretty awesome. It was satisfying, and I'm not obsessing over the thought of leftovers/more being in the house (which I would otherwise normally do). And yeah, I know I could easily just make another, but that would take more thought/mindfulness/planning; it's not as easy as just walking to the kitchen and grabbing another one (oh, heck, make it three, you know you'll just be back for more - yeah, that's what my brain does).
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ^^ THIS... so totally!