Myfitness pal tells me I can only eat 1200 calories...

Options
If I want to lose 1lb per week, working out 4x per week, burning 160 calories per workout, the website told me I can only eat 1200 calories. Is this accurate? I only had coffee for breakfast (wasn't hungry for my nutrigrain bar!) and 2 servings of baked chips and homemade low fat dip, with a can of soup and I only have a lttle over 500 calories for the rest of the day. This seems like it will be tough to meet those calories every day!

P.S. I just looked through more and it's because I put in 4, 30 min workouts per week. I would do at least 4 60 min workouts per week. Though, that only gave me 30 more calories.. I will probably do more on weekends than during the week, too.
Thanks for the help all! :smile:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You get to eat your exercise calories as well. so you will have 1360 1200 plus 160 burned. one of the incentive to working out is you get to eat more. The exercise does not show up in your allowance until you log it in under the exercise tab
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    only 160 burnt in a whole workout? pump it up a bit and you can eat more! that's not very many calories burnt at all
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also confussed by this. I worked out my wifes calorie intake and it said that she can only have 1000 cals a day !!! That sounds worring I would love to know if you find out more infomation on this.
    Good luck with the dress and the wedding
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories. That way you will be able to eat more thru out the day. I was set at 1200 too until I started a new workout program that requires me to eat 1800 a day.
  • jdramage
    jdramage Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi! I am like you and my daily allowance is 1200 calories. I've been at this for a while and I've figured it all out. Yes, the key is to get in exercise each day and then I usually eat back everything that I have burned. On days where I don't exercise, it can be tough. You just need to find foods that fill you up for less calories and it can be done! For instance, I'll have oatmeal with skim milk instead of a bowl of cereal for breakfast which saves a bunch. I love nuts but I'll skip them on those days because the calorie content is high. I have been very successful with this calorie amount and with eating my exercise calories too. I don't always lose a pound a week but I am losing inches.
  • Don't eat your exercise calories right now if you want to loose weight.
    Think of it this of it this way 3500 calories is a pound...make sure you burn 3500 calories while working out in a week to loose a pound a week. Thats 500 calories you need to burn per day. Most people can burn 500 calories just by walking for 60mins.
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    You can do one of 2 things, you can exercise more and earn calories, or you can adjust your goal to 1/2 lb. a week and just lose at a slower pace. I had to adjust my goal to 1/2 lb a week because it was so hard to stay under my calorie goal and I was going over and getting discouraged when it was set to 1 lb a week. Maybe this is an option depending on how much weight you are trying to lose in a given amount of time.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Hi, I'm also confussed by this. I worked out my wifes calorie intake and it said that she can only have 1000 cals a day !!! That sounds worring I would love to know if you find out more infomation on this.

That must be to loose 2 pounds per week, MFP suggests that you don't eat less than 1200 calories, in this case the weight loss may only be 1.5 pounds as the caloric deficit would be smaller than the 1000/day required to loose 2 pounds per week.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise calories right now if you want to loose weight.
    Think of it this of it this way 3500 calories is a pound...make sure you burn 3500 calories while working out in a week to loose a pound a week. Thats 500 calories you need to burn per day. Most people can burn 500 calories just by walking for 60mins.

I disagree completely, if your goal is one pound per week and 1200 cals is your goal to do that, you should eat your exercise calories or you will be at a larger caloric deficit.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options

MFP wouldn't calculate her calorie intake to be 1000. 1200 would be the minimum. Depending on the person's weight, how aggressive their goals are, how sedetary they are will determine how many calories to eat. And they SHOULD be eating back all exercise calories.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    exercise more = eating more.

don't listen to any IDIOT that tells you not to eat your exercise calories. I am so tired of people saying that.

u are allotted 1200 cals a day just to survive, MFP has done this to create a deficit.
    when u exercise u burn calories, therefore you are ALLOWED and ENCOURAGED to eat back those exercise calories.

just make sure u are being honest and tracking all ur food and tracking all ur workouts.

u will see that as u add exercise ur calories increase for the corresponding day.

good luck and if u dont understand read the link in my signature.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    You can do one of 2 things, you can exercise more and earn calories, or you can adjust your goal to 1/2 lb. a week and just lose at a slower pace. I had to adjust my goal to 1/2 lb a week because it was so hard to stay under my calorie goal and I was going over and getting discouraged when it was set to 1 lb a week. Maybe this is an option depending on how much weight you are trying to lose in a given amount of time.

GOOD ADVICE :drinker:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your exercise calories right now if you want to loose weight.

I disagree completely, if your goal is one pound per week and 1200 cals is your goal to do that you should eat your exercise calories or you will be at a larger caloric deficit.

I disagree with "don't eat your exercise calories if you want to lose weight as well. MFP automatically puts you at a deficit depending on what you input as your goals (1 pound, 1/2 pound per week, etc). Eating your exercise calories will actually help you from plateauing later on. If you don't eat your exercise calories (depending on the deficit you are bringing yourself in total) you will plateau and have a hard time losing anymore weight.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get to 1200 calories as it is, I find I get plenty to eat with that and as long as I make good choices have no trouble sticking to 1200.
  • Susanohoro
    Options
    I would not skip meals. Make your calories count by eating alot of salad and protein based foods. I have 1200 per day and a typically day for me is coffee&protein shake/mixed fruit; salad with chicken or shrimp; greek yogurt snack; lean meat/fish (4-6oz) and a veggie for dinner. Bascially no pasta, bread. Carb calories add up to quickly and won't tame your hunger. Exercise helps to boost your metabolism but you get most bang for your buck by cutting calories. Good snacks are hard boiled eggs, cooked shrimp with cocktail sauce; hummus/veggies. good luck
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think the website based my results on my current weight, desired weight and lifestyle which I put as sedentary because it is right now.. I chose 4 days of working out at a light pace I think.. Maybe that was the wrong way to set it up if I plan on working out more. 160 kcals doesn't seem like much either, I guarantee on a normal basis I would be doing more than that!
  • erickirb
    Options
    I think the website based my results on my current weight, desired weight and lifestyle which I put as sedentary because it is right now.. I chose 4 days of working out at a light pace I think.. Maybe that was the wrong way to set it up if I plan on working out more. 160 kcals doesn't seem like much either, I guarantee on a normal basis I would be doing more than that!

The 160 is ignored by MFP until you actually enter the exercise into the Exercise tab. So the 1200 has just for you to reach your goal of loosing 1 pound per week with no exercise.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

The 160 is ignored by MFP until you actually enter the exercise into the Exercise tab. So the 1200 has just for you to reach your goal of loosing 1 pound per week with no exercise.

Oh, I see! That makes a lot more sense! Thanks everyone!!
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestlye choice FOR LIFE if you can't manage to get down to your alloted calorie count right now then do it slowly. allowing you body to get used to it because if the goal is to far away you'll just give up. So take it one day one meal at a time and I beleive you'll do it : )
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    As you add fitness, your alloted calorie intake goes up.

I try to exercise for 45 minutes a day. The treadmill walking at 3.8 at an incline going from 1 to 7%; and I burn about 350 calories in 45 minutes. More, if I jog at 4.4 and 0% incline. then it goes to 450 calories. That takes me up to 1700 calories, which is too much to eat if I am eating good foods. Look around on the web for calories burned during exercise. There are sites with tables that show how the amount fluctuates based on your weight. http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm is one that comes to mind.

Also, you'll learn how to cut calories. Egg substitute (whites) are a good way to get good nutrition and lower calories. Broiled fish is another way to fill up. Strawberries and fresh fruit. Veggies, and salads (measure your dressing with a spoon). Turkey meat, low fat, is another way. Oh, and how could I forget the beans! Beans every day.

Cut bread in half and make it whole grain. 1 whole grain slice for breakfast and an open faced sandwich for lunch (1 slice).

Dessert? Yes, strawberries over angel food cake slice with 2 tbs of lite whipped cream and yogurt (type with those digestive enzymes) is my favorite. Fudge bars too.

Some days you'll go over, and some days you'll go under.