TIPS FOR SUCCESS

Options
2»

Replies

• 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Never give up. If you make a mistake, or binge or lazy for a week, or anything similar - Get straight back to it as soon as you can, don't go back to your old ways, go back to where you left off!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    TRAIN and DIET :) that simple

Missing one component. Diet + Exercise + Willpower = Success.. that simple.

No "Cheat days" that is just stupid.. who are you cheating?

Good luck

actually one cheat day per week, if you eat healthy 90% of the time and exercise regularly, won't hurt you. And with a cheat day, youre less likely to fail on your diet. Too often we try to rteplace what we really want with a poor suibstitute and end up eating more calories instead (i.e. REALLY craving a slice of cake and instead, eating a whole box of low fat granola bars instead). Research shows that if you allow yourself to eat the "bad" foods once in awhile, youre less likely to binge.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Own it, log it and move on! No beating myself up for mistakes!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Be consistent and keep moving forward.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    1) Train hard.

What I mean by that is that for very obese people who do zero activity except walk to the fridge, maybe walking or house cleaning can be considered exercise, and anything is better than nothing - we all started somewhere. BUT -- for the majority of people, a "workout" is where you do activity that makes you sweat and breathe hard, maybe even gasp for breath when you push hard. Do a combination of strength and cardio training.

2) Eat clean.

I'm not a big believer in fad diets (eliminate this, eat only soup, etc). I say eat clean, avoid food with added/excess sugar, and eat whole foods. Meat, whole wheat pasta, grains, fruit, vegetables - all of it. Drink lots of water, and avoid sugary drinks and alcohol. Those are just empty calories. Also, I am not a believer in "cheat days". To me, that is taking 4 steps forward and one back. Why would you want to give up progress you've made?

3) Looking for shortcuts?

There are none. See #1 and #2.

I don't claim to be a fitness/diet or exercise expert, but the above worked for me. I lost almost 100 lbs using those methods.

1 cheat day doesnt ruin a diet. You cant lose 5 lbs in a day, you certainly wont gain it either (because it takes 3500 calories in addition to how many your body needs to maintain itself in order to gain a lb. So roughly 5500 calories in a pound for the average person). If you work out regularly and eat healthy the majority of the time, one cheat day or cheat meal will not ruin your progress
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Excellent advise! Will refer to this often!!!
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    thanks guys ..ypu made this an excellent post
  • bushokie
    Options
    We could make a best selling book with these tips
  • pandasmama3
    Options
    Great tips! Thanks!
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks guys
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    TRAIN and DIET :) that simple

Missing one component. Diet + Exercise + Willpower = Success.. that simple.

No "Cheat days" that is just stupid.. who are you cheating?

Good luck

actually one cheat day per week, if you eat healthy 90% of the time and exercise regularly, won't hurt you. And with a cheat day, youre less likely to fail on your diet. Too often we try to rteplace what we really want with a poor suibstitute and end up eating more calories instead (i.e. REALLY craving a slice of cake and instead, eating a whole box of low fat granola bars instead). Research shows that if you allow yourself to eat the "bad" foods once in awhile, youre less likely to binge.
    To each their own. I'm not meaning to disparage anyone who does "cheat days", they are just not something I do/did. Weight loss is an individual battle.

I also do not represent myself as a diet, fitness, and exercise expert just because I have had success with my methods, have the anonymity of the internet, and the ability to type. When it comes to internet forums and advice, YGWYPF. Take what you want from what I say, or dismiss it. It matters not to me.
  • bluepen61
    bluepen61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Willpower could be translated to Objective/Personal Goal(s).

In my case, it was these three objectives/goals:
    a. No meds for type II diabete by maintaining a low A1c test results.
    b. Maintain an acceptable cholesterol test level.
    c. Complete 3 laps @ Tour de Road America ride (12 miles) with strength for the hill sections.

All of which requires diet + exercise + support.

a. and b. relate to my objective to maintain my healthy, repaired mitral heart valve. I am blessed with a repaired heart! :happy:
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    Bump! Great Posts!
  • bushokie
    Options
    bump again
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    There are only two days in the year that nothing can get done. One is called yesterday and the other is tomorrow.. So today is the day to move your *kitten*! ;)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip is to not focus on the result (the actual weight loss). Focus on the things you can directly control: eating better and getting some exercise. Provided you do those things, the weight will come off when it feels like coming off. It's much easier for me to focus my goals on behaviors and actions that I can control (vs hoping and praying that my fat will agree with my arbitrary timeline). I am doing this forever, there is no "end", there is no "done", there just "is". As long as I keep doing what I'm doing, the results will eventually take care of themselves.
  • bushokie
    Options
    thank you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!