Training in a fasted state - Opinions

Options
Hey guys and gals,
I've recently started training first thing in the mornings. I get up at 7:00, down my pre-workout and hit the gym. A big breakfast with fast digesting protein and carbs comes after. I've been doing this for a week now and so far I like it. It's only been a week though so I'm wondering if there's people out there who have done this for longer and if they can share their experiences.

Cheers!

Replies

• maa59115
    maa59115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it would help you burn a little more fat, and your pre-workout will kick in faster. I personally don't train fasted, I have no energy.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What do you call an animal that has no energy, whose athletic ability declines when they are hungry?

Dead.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not dead...yet at least! I actually have increased my strength in the short time i've been training fasted. I thought I'd have no energy but I'm always ready to go!

Still want to know of other people's experiences though.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    For about a year, 4 days a week, I was getting up and exercising from 5:45-6:30 without eating a thing before. I was doing circuit training mostly, but did some running as well and every Saturday I run anywhere from 4-8 miles without eating. I prefer it because when I do attempt to eat close to working out, I get really nauseous. I will say that I was always STARVING by 7:00 and would always eat a large breakfast because of that but I lived through it!
    Also, now that I think about it, for about 2 years, I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do a pretty challenging weight training workout without eating before. It's not for everyone and you have to make sure you fuel your body, but for me, I definitely prefer it
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I routinely go to the gym and lift on an empty stomach

#lol5amworkouts

Running is another story....
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I train fasted a couple of times a week. At first I found cardio a bit of a struggle but I've quickly adjusted and don't really notice any difference in strength or endurance now.

An hour of cardio or weights should be fine - you are carrying all the energy you need in your muscles and liver.
    I wouldn't do a longer workout fasted.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    All my workouts are fasted with the exception of my elliptical workout at my kids' gym while I watch their gymnastics calsses after dinner. I work out at 4:30 am, and I only eat before hand if I wake up ravenous. I don't like working on a full stomach if it can be avoided, an I run and/or do a cardio video and lift, all fasted, and I feel pretty good. I don't do it because I think it helps me burn for fat or anything, I do it because I'd rather save the calories because I know I'd have to eat again later.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Personally I need to have gas in the tank to work out. So usually I will eat something that sits well with me.... banana, cliff bar, ect. Sports bars are designed to hold well when one is working out (running, riding, swimming, lifting, ect). Every trainer and coach that I have EVER had has told me to always have something in the tank.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Works well for me, but it has to be early. If I haven't eaten by about noon, I'm ready to shoot someone.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go with it. I need a small amount of calories before if I work out in the morning, but to each his/her own.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have done 3 half marathons, and I am currently training for my first full . . . I have done 95% of my training fasted, and am currently trying to re-train my body to do my long runs whilst having a little something to eat before hand. I have always done my workouts first thing in the morning because of young children and schedules. I love training at a fasted state, it's what worked for me, however I'm finding that with distances over the 21-ish km mark my energy levels from carb loading just aren't cutting it. My 2 cents is to really listen to your body, keep track of what you're doing diligently during training time, and do what works for you :) Best of luck!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I run a 10k or slightly more at least 3 times a week on an empty stomach. Doesn't bother me a bit. I just wake up, put on the shoes and go run. I don't get better workouts if I run in the evening. It's not like I didn't eat the day before. Your body knows how to start pulling out energy when you need it. You won't collapse. Just have a good meal when you're done.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I work out every weekday morning from 5 - 6:30 am. I simply cannot eat that early (I get up at 4:15 to get to the gym by 5:00)....I do both strength training and cardio most days, and I do it all in a fasted state. It just works for me. Plus, if I eat before a workout, I am sluggish and my body is trying too hard to digest food, rather than spending its energy on the workout.

Having said this, it's not for everyone. I think it's a personal preference more than anything. I know some people who can't workout on an empty stomach, but I can't workout with a full stomach. I do, however, down a protein shake the MINUTE I am done working out (before I even hit the showers) to start fueling my muscles, and then eat breakfast about 45 minutes after that.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have more energy when I train fasted.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that is what i do,,,,,, tho, no brekkie when i come back either.
  • debzv
    debzv Posts: 23
    Options
    I used to train fasted, and it worked fine. But then I decided to try eating (2 bolied eggs and a big raw tomato) 1 hour before exercising to see if i would have more/less energy during workout. I definitely have more energy during my training when I have eaten before hand, and so i am able to push myself harder and burn more calories. I also find that i am not completely ravenous after my workout and so tend to eat better for the rest of the day.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think it would help you burn a little more fat, and your pre-workout will kick in faster. I personally don't train fasted, I have no energy.
    The benefit of training "fasted" and in a fed state is minuscule.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The benefit of training "fasted" and in a fed state is minuscule.

^^yep. And energy levels are a purely individual thing.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    ^^yep. And energy levels are a purely individual thing.

This. My last meal of the day is at about 8PM, and I usually don't eat again until 2PM, AFTER I lift. It doesn't bother me much. My wife on the other hand gets stabby if she misses breakfast.

Figure out what works best for you and allows you to get the most out of your workout, and do that.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A few days after Christmas, I ate breakfast, then waited about 3-4 hours and went for a run. I actually vomited on the side of the road. So I always run on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. :)

Other exercises (weights, etc) it doesn't seem to make a difference to me. I just had a bowl of yogurt and a coffee and I'm heading to the gym in 30 minutes. All good. Do what works for you.