i forget to drink water

jmarie9
jmarie9 Posts: 108
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
anyone have any tips or tricks to remind them? i'll be at work, and realize i haven't touched my water bottle for hours! i'm just not THAT thirsty...

Replies

• kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    I always drink more water when I have my snack. I like to have a Nature's Valley bar in the afternoon (just 1 of the 2 bars - I save the other one for the next day), it makes me thirsty, so then I make a goal to finish the whole glass of water. Helps me.
  • Maybe add a crystal light packet to your water to give it flavor. You may be more inclined to drink it if it tastes like lemonade or iced tea.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    I always drink an 8-12 ounce glass of water 10 minutes before I eat any meal. It fills me up and I eat a trememdous amount less.
    I find I get my water intake and helps me lose weight too!
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    I drink water as my beverage for very meal. If we go out I finish one tall one before the food even comes. Also while having a snack like the 100 cal popcorn, I drink a lot of water . Water & popcorn seems to fill me longer than anything. I probably average 10 a day and more in the summer or if I fit a good workout in. Now I wish it would help with my weight loss!!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Do you use Microsoft Outlook? You could program a reminder for yourself on the hour and then it would pop up on your computer screen at those times to remind you.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Do you have a timer on your cell phone? Set it to go off every 15 minutes to remind you to take a drink. Find "triggers" in your day to remind you to drink.
    Before I drink my coffee in the morning - I drink a bottle of water.
    At 10AM - I drink another.
    WIth lunch I drink another.
    At 2PM I'm usually helping my son with homework and I try to drink another bottle while helping him.
    While cooking dinner I drink another.
    Then I drink more throughout the evening.

I generally drink 100-120 oz of water a day. Once you start drinking that much - you can use your bathroom breaks as a reminder to drink! LOL!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    I did it the easy way, I used to HATE water even just a few months ago, avoided it like the plague. Now I drink at least 8 glasses a day, usually more. I use crystal light and generic brand flavorings to make it easy, tastes like drinking tea or juice instead :smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    drink everytime you eat. I usually don't drink between meals, but I start each meal off with a full glass of water, then have a glass with my meal. That's 6. Add a glass to 2 snacks each day and you're at 8.

If you work out, drink a glass before your workout and then sip one after.
  • Girl, don't make me come down to the EG and pour water down your throat! :bigsmile:
  • I tend to drink LOTS of water each time I work out—like 10 cups of water, usually. What I'll do is bring a PowerBar, Lärabar or Clif bar with me when I do my cycling, and tell myself I can only take one small bite every 5 minutes. The bar will be sitting next to me, tempting the hell out of me throughout that five minutes, so every time I want to reach down and grab a bite before it's time, I grab my bottle of water instead. In an hour and a half on the exercise machine, I'll usually go through 3-4 bottles of water, 2 energy bars, and have burned about 900 calories! The bite of a protein bar is a huge motivator for me to keep pedaling, and the water helps me reach it.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Do you have a timer on your cell phone? Set it to go off every 15 minutes to remind you to take a drink. Find "triggers" in your day to remind you to drink.
    At 2PM I'm usually helping my son with homework and I try to drink another bottle while helping him.

I generally drink 100-120 oz of water a day. Once you start drinking that much - you can use your bathroom breaks as a reminder to drink! LOL!

the cell phone thing is cute, and probably really effective, however, annoying? i would hate it, jmo!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member

the cell phone thing is cute, and probably really effective, however, annoying? i would hate it, jmo!

I used to set mine on vibrate and stick it in my pocket... it just served as a reminder to me...
  • If you use twitter a lot, you can have 'tweet' challenges with people. :)

Otherwise, I don't know, you just kind of have to do it. You can play little drinking games with yourself, like every time the phone rings take a drink, or every time you get an email take 2 drinks.

For me I'm not that good at sipping, so every time I happen to notice my water bottle I just chug a bunch, probably a cup worth or so. And have two cups at every meal, that should do it.
  • I find that I drink more water if I drink through a straw verus strait from a glass...So I got the camelback water bottle that has the straw spout. It holds a little over 4 glasses so 2 per day is my 8 glasses....I find it easier to say I need to drink 2 bottles versus 8 glasses...a mind trick to make it seem like less and it goes down a lot faster! :drinker:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    I've posted this before.... but my tip is to buy a roll of masking tape. Every day, stick a new piece on your cup/water bottle.

Figure out how many bottles of water you need in a day (depending on the size of it), and mark a tick off each time you finish a bottle.

You'll soon notice yourself watching that tape to see if you've been drinking your water for the day... it really helps me remember how much I've had, and how much more I still need to drink! (And yes, it's easy to write on).

:smile: :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.