Shin splints - Why do you do this to me??

Options
So I recently started getting into exercising and doing cardio. Right now I'm doing the 10 minute cardio blast from the biggest loser every day, and using the Kim Kardashian ab work out warm up for it (I find its more rewarding as a warm up)

The pain.. oh the pain.. probably from the jumping jacks, or the skipping rope stuff ugh its just, most likely because before I started again I really didn't exercise unless you count walking up the stairs a few times a day or walking my dog.

So I've researched it online, unfortunately I cannot take aspirin or ibuprofen because with the combination of the anxiety medication I'm on the side effects of it worsen. I can take tylenol though which helps a bit. I will wrap it in ice 2 times a day and keep it elevated.

Luckily thats just my lower body and I can still do upper body work outs/crunches/etc. I'll improvise to at least get 10 minutes of exercise a day.

But I'm just curious as to how long should I rest it before I start the cardio again or, even walking my dog, since it hurts when I walk.

Any help on this would be great, as I've not really ever experienced these before :)

(edit; I do stretch before and after work outs I might try to find a stretch that focusses mainly on shins though once this heals)

Replies

• mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been plagued with shin splints my whole life. The only thing that makes mine better is not to do any jumping or running. My would be debilitating. It would seriously hurt my workout effort. When they were fully healed I would go back to high impact stuff and be able to do it for a couple of weeks and before you know it the shin splints come back. I would love to start running but my shin splints make it impossible. Good luck, I have not found anything that makes them better besides rest.
  • VirginiaM4
    Options
    I really hope they aren't recurring. I think I may have to invest in an exercise bike since what I've been reading points to stationary cycling being good for the healing process and quite possibly just do the modified versions of what they do since the biggest loser videos offer those.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey....I am no expert but I am talking from personal experience. When I put on the weight I started running and I developed shin splints. I ran through the pain but then they just got to much for me. Anyway so I went to a place that fit you with trainers that are designed for the type of foot you are. Turns out I was wearing the wrong type of trainer for my foot. Although they were a decent running shoe they were totally wrong for my foot. I got fitted with a new trainer and I have not had a shin splint since! I have continued to run on the roads and no pain there at all!! So I think investing in good shoes for your feet are also key. It helped me anyway :)

Also the tip they gave me if I ever bought anymore trainers away from them would be to always buy a size up from your normal sixe. This stop your foot toes from pressing at the end of your trainer and causing pressure. (Something like that anyway)

Hope this helps :)
  • VirginiaM4
    Options
    thanks for that tip, I definitely need a new pair of sneaks
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I echo the idea of looking into new sneakers. Depending on where you live, you should be able to find a running supply store (Fleet Feet, Phidipides) that will have knowledgeable staff who can help you out. You may also want to try a local running club for advice.

Best of luck!