How Often?

How often did you exercise when you were first getting going? I have been trying to exercise 5x a week. I don't want to over do it or burn myself out. Any tips?

Replies

• mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Last week was my first "serious" week and I did 7 days. This week I am down to 5 just because I don't want to overdo it either.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I think my goal in the beginning was at least 3x per week but I can't remember for sure... These days I try to do at least 5x per week.

It's not just the number of days you workout that count but the intensity. If you're pushing yourself hard 5 days a week and feel exhausted and sore all the time then it's probably a good idea to scale it back a bit. That doesn't mean you have to only work out 3x per week though, just take it easier for 1 or 2 of those days.

For instance, I started a new program with my workout buddy a few weeks ago. We were both really sore for the next few days so we stuck with more moderate exercises for the next two days (biking, elliptical) then got right back to that intense routine. Hope that makes some sense...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I did 5 days a week to get into the habit. I did less intense workouts then I do now, that's how to avoid the burn out. I thnk it's important to set what you want your days/time(s) for working out to be and do something at that time every day you have scheduled, even if it's just 10 minutes. This will make working out at that time a habit and you can build from there.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    It's one of those 'to each their own' kinds of things. Most people swear that lifting more than 3-4 times per week will kill a new jack. I started off (and am still at) 5-6. Go with however you feel, so long as you aren't making excuses to not go.

Oh, and being sore (not in real pain) is an excuse, so don't use it. ;)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    When I really started working on my cardio around a year ago, I went 5 days a week, but I had to ease into it. 15 minutes was killer. I gradually built up my time and endurance.

With weights, I've never done more than 3 days a week and for most of the years I lifted, 2x was enough. I was lifting heavy and needed longer recovery periods between workouts. I still made great gains, even in my 40's.
  • lmcmahon1221
    lmcmahon1221 Posts: 5 Member
    I try to do six days a week, and I mix it up between cardio, yoga and pilates. I had cut down each session to about a half hour because I also walk my dog for about a half hour every day, but recently upped my time to at least 45 minutes. I work out first thing in the morning so I try to squeeze in as much as I can before work while still getting some sleep in the morning!
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    I have been doing 7 days a week since I started. All on the elliptical and I had done 6 days of the 30 Day Shred level 1. Need to get back at that.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    I started out at 3 times a week for 60 minutes each. Now I do 4-5 times a week for 60 minutes each. I have to have 2 rest days somewhere in the week or I get injuries and/or burned out.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    My recommendation is to first establish a routine; for people new to exercising that is one of the biggest hurdles. I think 5 days a week is a great target, maybe 30 minutes of walking or other low intensity activity. Ease into the duration and intensity. Once you've established exercise into your normal daily schedule (maybe after a month) then you can thinking more seriously about your goals and exactly what kind of program to set up.
  • i have a wii fit & i do 30 min on the days im not in work & then im walking round work constantly so i count that as light walking xx
  • I started out aiming for 3 days a week then after a month I bumped it up to 5 days a week. Now if I feel really good I will do Jillian Michaeals videos for 5 days (which I do that no matter what) and on the 6th day I'll do a walking video just to keep moving some.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    I've been trying to hit the gym every day, because I need the momentum to keep me committed. I recently starting running and am loving it (where in the past, I hated/hated/hated it!), but think I was being too aggressive and hurt my knee. So i've been doing strength with lower impact cardio (elliptical, bike, rowing machine) for the past few days with the goal of hitting the treadmill again tomorrow morning. I signed up for my first 5K in April and want to be sure I can run the whole race.

I agree with pp who say "for each their own" and while you don't want to be sore every day, you have to push yourself to the next level and keep going. So try to vary what you do from day to day which should help reduce injuries and keep it interesting. Good Luck!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    It really depends on where you are coming from - if you are used to nothing, trying to suddenly workout for 2 hours 7 days a week is not going to work. If you are already pretty active but just don't have a set routine then maybe 5-6 days a week for an hour works. I think what is most important is that you have a plan/schedule, even if only 2 days to start, and stick with it. Be foregiving of your slip ups, you are going to miss work out because life happens, but don't just give yourself permission to fail.

One note if you are just now starting an exercise routine - going every other day the first week can feel like you are dying... you are almost always more sore on the 2nd day after a workout. I highly suggest that after your first workout ever you be committed to work out for 3 days in a row - that 2nd day may hurt, but it will warm up the muscles and get your blood pumping so that the 3rd day doesn't REALLY hurt. :) Even if that 2nd day is just a brisk walk, it will help!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    I do something every day. Vary the type and intensity. Walk, run, bike, lift weights. Even on my "rest" days I'll go for a walk.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Every day. No excuses.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Everyone is different on this one. Do what you can do and still feel comfortable and motivated doing it. For some that is 3-4x's a week while other is more like 5-6x's a week. It is recommended by most everyone in the industry to have at least one rest day a week to prevent injury.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    It's more about intensity than number of times. You can start walking every day to get your heart rate up and jumpstart things. That would be much better than trying to run every other day and get sore or feel that much out of shape you quit.