So Hungry!

Options
The last two days it seems I'm hungry ALL the time... I eat what should be a filling meal and less than an hour later I'm hungry again. The same meals last week would have had me struggling at the end of the day to get up to my calorie goal. Could my metabolism have jumped into overdrive for some reason? Any suggestions on something to eat that will fill me up for a while? Should I forget my calorie goal for the day and eat til I'm full as long as I'm eating healthy food? Or just deal with it?

Replies

• prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When you look at your goals page, how much weight are you set to lose a week? If that number was a little smaller, and thus you got to eat more calories, would it be worth it to you to be able to eat until you're satisfied?

My experience -- after a couple of months eating at 1400-1500 calories, my appetite went significantly up. I used to skip lunch all the time, then I realized I was much more energetic if I ate more, especially earlier in the day. I upped my calories to about 1700 (and that's when I don't exercise). Now I'm losing weight at a very slow pace (I don't want to lose much more anyway), but I'm eating the right amount so that I'm not miserable

Do you really want to sacrifice your happiness now for your appearance later? Maybe you're simply not eating enough :)

I wouldn't necessarily eat until you're full, I would maybe add another 200-300 calories to your day for a week or two and see how you feel. After all, that 1200 is just an estimate, it could be that you simply need more fuel. Take care!
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    There is such a thing as "intuitive eating" - if you're body is telling you you're truly hungry and you're not mistaking that with boredom, thirst or old eating habits, then EAT. You may not be getting enough calories every day and if you're honestly feeling hunger pangs, your body is trying to tell you something - listen.
  • mrslynch
    mrslynch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When you look at your goals page, how much weight are you set to lose a week? If that number was a little smaller, and thus you got to eat more calories, would it be worth it to you to be able to eat until you're satisfied?

My experience -- after a couple of months eating at 1400-1500 calories, my appetite went significantly up. I used to skip lunch all the time, then I realized I was much more energetic if I ate more, especially earlier in the day. I upped my calories to about 1700 (and that's when I don't exercise). Now I'm losing weight at a very slow pace (I don't want to lose much more anyway), but I'm eating the right amount so that I'm not miserable

Do you really want to sacrifice your happiness now for your appearance later? Maybe you're simply not eating enough :)

I wouldn't necessarily eat until you're full, I would maybe add another 200-300 calories to your day for a week or two and see how you feel. After all, that 1200 is just an estimate, it could be that you simply need more fuel. Take care!

I'm set at 2lbs a week, and have been averaging 3. I may just take this day to add an extra 200 and get back on track tomorrow. I'd like to find something to snack on that would be filling though.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Eat protein!! Start eating some for breakfast, then some at lunch, and again for dinner!! Add lots of vegetables, some healthy fats and magically the hunger disappears ....

Protein and healthy fats is honestly the way to control hunger.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 2lbs a week, and have been averaging 3. I may just take this day to add an extra 200 and get back on track tomorrow. I'd like to find something to snack on that would be filling though.

Yeah, something to note, if you're set to 2 then you could easily eat extra any given day (probably even 500-1000 extra) and not gain weight -- maybe just not lose any weight that day.

3 pounds a week is really fast weight loss! If you find yourself having more problems, I would consider setting it to 1lb/week instead. Just something to keep in mind -- the slower you lose weight, the more you learn about how to eat to maintain the weight, and generally the less likely you are to put it back on

Stay happy and eat enough! Congrats on your progress so far :)

As for healthy snacks, I'm a big fan of greek yogurt, and granola bars such as Kind Bars that are low in carbs. And you obviously can't go wrong by snacking on veggies - you can eat a ton of volume for very few calories. Generally, though, like people have said, it's the proteins and fats that fill you up and keep you full longer. Good luck!
  • bovilleam
    Options
    Porridge is low fat, excellent slow burn, low gi food, so it will keep you fuller for longer. For a change maybe add some dried fruit or cinnamon.
  • mrslynch
    mrslynch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I ended up going to Chipotle for supper, and had a pickle, some grapes, and a cheese stick a little later for a snack. I only went over my calories by 11 and I wasn't hungry when I went to bed. Thanks for the encouragement!