Pat my head and tell me it will be alright

Options
I've been having a stellar week- lost not one but two pounds, stayed right at or under calorie goal, exercising like a champ. And then along comes today. Got a migraine, haven't exercised, and with my food for the day accounted for (except for whatever I'm going to have as a snack) I'm about 600 calories OVER.

So you veterans of the war on weight, please reassure me. I need it. :ohwell:

Replies

• mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. At 600 calories over: If you eat at a 1000 calorie deficit, you'll still be 400 calories UNDER maintenance. If you eat at a 500 calorie deficit, you'll only be 100 calories over maintenance, which is 2.8% of a pound.

No worries. Hope you feel better soon!
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I needed to hear that. :smile:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Really not much to add, since Mizzie covered it so well!

Nonetheless, we all need that reassurance once in awhile and you deserve to know that everything will be all right.

As a matter of fact, pretty much no matter what you do to today, it will be all right as long as you get back on track tomorrow! It is the habits that matter, not the hiccups.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I saw this on one of the boards yesterday (and I'm paraphrasingly horribly) : If you normally brush your teeth 2x a day but you forget one, do you beat yourself up over it? No, you just go "oh well" and brush your teeth 2x the next day.

I need to remember this b/c when I go off track I beat myself up and want to throw in the towel completely, but that's not the right thing to do.

So hang in there and pull yourself back on track! You can do it!
  • pamwhite712
    Options
    Really not much to add, since Mizzie covered it so well!

Nonetheless, we all need that reassurance once in awhile and you deserve to know that everything will be all right.

As a matter of fact, pretty much no matter what you do to today, it will be all right as long as you get back on track tomorrow! It is the habits that matter, not the hiccups.

You know, I was thinking that two months ago I would have thought nothing of eating like I have today. Now it terrifies me almost. I like to think I have developed good habits and this panic I'm feeling is because this is out of the ordinary for me now.
  • pamwhite712
    Options
    I saw this on one of the boards yesterday (and I'm paraphrasingly horribly) : If you normally brush your teeth 2x a day but you forget one, do you beat yourself up over it? No, you just go "oh well" and brush your teeth 2x the next day.

I need to remember this b/c when I go off track I beat myself up and want to throw in the towel completely, but that's not the right thing to do.

So hang in there and pull yourself back on track! You can do it!

Thank you. I like the brushing of the teeth analogy. :smile:
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Do a little bit extra exercise on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and you'll be golden!!!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This weekend I plan on going over...you'll get back on it. Enjoy yourself, but use that extra energy to throw yourself into your workout! And beside, you're probably on a 250-500 cal/day deficit anyway; you're not going to gain any "real" weight by going over one day. :) you've got this!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    This is real life.. you eat over one day..make up for it the next.. Balance. That is what mfp teaches us.. don't worry..just do the balancing act for the next few days.. you know the routine. You'll be fine.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    One day won't kill ya Pam. You are fine...
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've decided to take this journey with only one rule. Log it.

Everyday I make the best decisions that I can. Somedays are harder than others. And some days I'm just hungrier. All that matters is that I stay focused on my goal and fully understand the decisions I make.. I usually log what I eat before I eat it.

In my previous attempts to lose weight, one of the reasons I failed was letting one bad choice lead to another due to guilt ridden depression. Now, I eat very healthy most days, but certainly not always. I'm doing well, losing regularly and I'm sure I've got this thing beat. It'll just take time to reach my goal.

So, no worries!
  • joeterry2112
    joeterry2112 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been told that if you are holding to a good diet and then one day you binge your body cannot handle those extra calories and will flush them out. It's only if you continue to hold to blowing your diet that it becomes a problem.

You are fine. Get back on the horse tomorrow and things will be fine.
  • pamwhite712
    Options
    You all have made me feel so much better. Thank you so much.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Resolve is never stronger than in the morning after the night it was never weaker!!!!

Go get em!!!