Denaturing Protein

Options
Hey everyone! This is a bit more of a biochemistry question than a health question, persay, but I think the answer could affect a lot of us MFP'ers, and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, so I'm hoping someone can help out.

I've read a LOT of different recipes for homemade protein bars, which usually involve baking them in an oven at 350 degrees or so. I've even read on fitness threads of people making their chocolate protein shakes into hot chocolates.. (Mmm) ..
But it got me thinking back to highschool biology, and I remember doing a lab where we subjected various amino acids to slight variations in heat, some as little as 5 degrees above body temperature, and most of them changed shape! (Also known as denaturing) .. Our teacher than explained that this is basically why fevers are so dangerous, because our bodies are primarily a big blob of proteins, which can deform when they are over heated.

And it just got me wondering about the quality of the protein in a homemade protein concoction, because I know our body has very specific enzymes which basically correlate to each amino acid, almost like a key and lock. If you change the shape of the lock, the key can't open it anymore making whatever is stored behind it useless. I'm just wondering if the same would apply to baking protein powder?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you denature protein it alters the shape, but not the amino acids it is made up of. Think of taking a beaded necklace and tying and twisting it all up. the beads are still there, but the shape is different. Denaturing proteins of our body is dangerous because altering the shape of a protein can alter it's ability to function properly and protein denaturation is an irreversible process. It's not the same with food. Cooking meat and eggs changes the color, showing you protein denaturation, but it is still comprised of the same amino acids
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    That's good to hear! =)

In that case, I'm gonna go make myself a batch of protein bars, and maybe I'll even make a "hot chocolate" while I'm at it =p
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you denature protein it alters the shape, but not the amino acids it is made up of. Think of taking a beaded necklace and tying and twisting it all up. the beads are still there, but the shape is different. Denaturing proteins of our body is dangerous because altering the shape of a protein can alter it's ability to function properly and protein denaturation is an irreversible process. It's not the same with food. Cooking meat and eggs changes the color, showing you protein denaturation, but it is still comprised of the same amino acids

I also want to add that protein denaturation occurs in our stomach as part of the digestion process (when it comes in contact with hydrochloric acid) and cooking food with protein in it actually makes it easier to digest because some of the work is already done before you eat it
  • Rcasey1985
    Options
    So glad someone asked about this because I'd been wondering about that... good to know :)
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Good information! I will definitely add homemade protein bars to the list of things to do. :tongue: