Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution is on!!!

Options
karmasBFF
karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
Right now, CST!

Its rerunning last weeks sneak peak! Highlt recommmended watch for the entire family! My son eats whole wheat pasta now! Just from watching the sneak peak last week!

Replies

• karmasBFF
    Options
    Sorry its on ABC
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I watched the sneak peak last week - amazing - I used to eat school lunch every day- I felt sick afterward..
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Watching it now...feeling so guilty about how I raised my kids! :sad: We eat healthier now as we know better. Anything with a shelf life is bad, bad, bad! REAL FOOD ROCKS! :happy:
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I live in Huntington... this show depresses me.

I used to eat out ALL the time... there are so many delicious restaurants.

Now we eat out once a week and it HAS to be under 500 calories.
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I live in Huntington... this show depresses me.

I used to eat out ALL the time... there are so many delicious restaurants.

Now we eat out once a week and it HAS to be under 500 calories.

Wow! Well Im so glad to see you are making the change! Hopefully, you will inspire more people in your area.

Have you seen an improvement since he was there? That radio host was pretty set on being against Jamie. A lot of people seem to have felt that way. Any input?
  • Mina133842
    Options
    I think I'll be packing my son's lunch when he's old enough for school.. ;)
  • karmasBFF
    Options

All those times I told my son NO because he got free lunch at school...but at what COST to his health! i'd much rather pack his lunch with whole wheat bread, natural PB, fresh fruit and a healthy treat for the PRICE of $3.00 but the GIFT of a life lesson!

Thank you for pointing that out to me! It never crossed my mind in that sense! I owe you a bit of my son's health!!!! **I think I'm going to cry!**
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I am really shocked at how little the kids know about fresh foods! This HAS to be exaggerated for TV purposes.
  • Mina133842
    Options
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'll tell you - there are a lot of kids out there that really don't know anything about the fruit and vegetable aisle. If it's not an apple, banana, orange or strawberry, they may not have been exposed to it. I've been trying out new stuff for a while, but when my husband moved out here (Washington state) he had never had the following: fresh spinach, mango, asparagus, kiwi, plums, nectarines, spaghetti squash, butternut squash.... the list goes on.. now, I buy different stuff every now and then, because I haven't always had something, but usually willing to try something new- love trying out new recipes, which is usually how something turns up on the shopping list.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I dint know it was on but had been hoping to see it. Missed most but at least I know when its on now.

thanks
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I said the same thing!
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I am really shocked at how little the kids know about fresh foods! This HAS to be exaggerated for TV purposes.

Sadly, my son didnt know some of them either. What an eye opener...
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I am a part of the "Healthy Communities" initiative in the school district I work in. I actually want to use my sociology and my elementary education degrees to go into working with kids & nutrition, and this show just 100% exemplifies WHY I want to do that with my life :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Was that a radish he held up, and the little girl said it was celery? And the boy who thought the eggplant was a pear.

It was sad and funny at the same time.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options

Was that a radish he held up, and the little girl said it was celery? And the boy who thought the eggplant was a pear.

It was a beet that the little girl thought was celery.

:smile:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Sadly - I don't think it was exaggerated. I've told the story on here before of having to explain the difference to the cashier at the grocery store between a zucchini and a cucumber. I bought a spaghetti squash the other day and the GROWN LADY behind me in line asked me what it was.

I was amazed when he went into the one ladies house.... it wasn't that she was necessarily too lazy to cook for her kids or too busy.... she was frying homemade donuts each morning! Seriously? I felt so bad for her... because you could tell that although she knew it wasn't "good" for her family... it hadn't clicked that it was "that bad".

It was definitely a good watch. My son asked if we could go to the store to get stuff for him to take lunches when he goes back to school after Spring Break! YAY!
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Sadly - I don't think it was exaggerated. I've told the story on here before of having to explain the difference to the cashier at the grocery store between a zucchini and a cucumber. I bought a spaghetti squash the other day and the GROWN LADY behind me in line asked me what it was.

I was amazed when he went into the one ladies house.... it wasn't that she was necessarily too lazy to cook for her kids or too busy.... she was frying homemade donuts each morning! Seriously? I felt so bad for her... because you could tell that although she knew it wasn't "good" for her family... it hadn't clicked that it was "that bad".

It was definitely a good watch. My son asked if we could go to the store to get stuff for him to take lunches when he goes back to school after Spring Break! YAY!

So it looks like Jamie Oliver is changing America's children without ever having stepped into their state! YAY JAMIE!!!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    OK I so can't wait to see it next week!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Just watched about the last 45 minutes of the show. What an eye opener. I don't have any kids, except the 4 footed variety--you know with tales, and they think they are strange little kids with lots of hair, but that is another story. LOL.

I thought it was amazing to watch the young teen boy when they did the segment with him cooking. I hope they will follow up with that family in subsequent shows. Another thing that was amazing to me was how the school staff were oblivious to the food at one point and obsessing over cutlery, and also their concern about the labor intensity needed to make healthy food. Of course, we ARE in the country that considers ketchup as well as french fries to be "vegetables" so why should I be surprised??

The title character, Jamie, was on a syndicated talk show in the last week or so, and it was amazing to hear the reaction of the locals to his attempts to improved their children's health. I am looking forward to the next episode.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

It was a beet that the little girl thought was celery.

:smile:

Aha! I didn't know what it was either, but I knew it wasn't celery. lol