foot cramps!! Owwwww!!

Options
Does anyone else get crazy muscle/tendon cramping in their toes and feet? This week has been horrible for me. I'll be walking around the apartment and BOOM it feels like my toes have dislocated themselves! It's so painful...it happens to my arches too. I don't get charlie horses in my calf muscles or anything like that. It's always my feet.

It even happened to me during spinning class on Wednesday! I wanted to say to my instructor, I'm trying to sprint but I have a foot cramp!

So per Google, it says that people who suffer from excessive foot cramping are usually not getting enough calcium, hydration, and potassium. So if you're like me and you exercise like mad, it's time to eat some bananas and drink more water!

I thought I'd see if anyone else out there is in the same boat, and also share my findings on how to prevent the cramping....

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I've gotten those too - like charlie horses in the foot/arches/toes. It is horrible. Another thing to monitor, it could mean you're low on sodium. (Lost through sweat) So if you are always low on your sodium and increasing calcium, water, or potassium doesn't help, try upping your sodium intake to what is recommended.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I get cramps in my arches and never knew why. They hurt so bad!
  • Berta1117
    Berta1117 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one! It happens to my toes all the time.
  • teekai
    teekai Posts: 1
    Options
    I have horrendous arthritis in both feet...I've gone to the cleveland clinic....the first doctor (who analyses my x-rays) says I needed 3 operations in left foot...(1 foot at a time please)..but the surgeon whom I saw next, says he has been doing surgery for 20 years...advised against surgery...because if it was successful, I'd still would have 50 percent of the pain...if unsuccessful, I would be worse off...and my feet hurt to the point of lymping...all day...the good thing, at night sleeping...(after rubbing with aspercream)...I could sleep...and after sitting awhile, the pain lessens...I also take celebrex...daily for years..for feet...but lately, I have had to take 2 - 200mg...and lately, even that is not enough. I do think a lot of water does help mimimizes the cramping... and also rubbing and stretching the toes and feet..soaking in epson salts is a big help as well. My husband use to rub my feet without my asking...but he seems to be having aches more often himself...(he's 78)...and now i must ask...and often watch his expression of "gads is she asking me again"..attitude...
    I am in the process of losing weight, but because of my feet, exercise is limited...I use to swim, but I have had some very painful sharp stabbing pain in both legs...therefore, am afraid of getting that pain in water...(cold water is not good for this kind of pain...I fear of cold water bringing on the this pain). I also take diet tonic water with quinnine....There is also an over-the-shelf pill called "leg pain"..that has some quinnine...I take this when I fear of getting that sharp pain or cramps..I also never go to bed without stretching my inner calfs (for about the count of 10)......I have also added to my vitimins supplements: B-complex, Vit C and D.
    Good luck...
  • aliciamille
    Options
    we'll all get through this together! thanks for the sodium suggestion...I'll have to keep track of that as much as my calories too :)