Diet Foods

Options
Hello-

I'm new to the weight loss community and wondering what you guys think the best and worst commercial diet meals and snacks are. Obviously whole food/produce is best but sometimes it's not an option, and I also have a massive sweet tooth and am a major snack addict. Giving up candy is the hardest thing for me and I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners. I absolutely love junk food- chips, cookies, ice cream, pizza, soda- and it's been torture since I work at an all-female workplace where snacks abound, so I'm looking for some help to ease the transition into healthier eating.

So far I really like Special K cereal and Luna bars. Fiber One brownies were ok. Absolutely love the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. The flavored rice snacks are good but are still pretty high in calories. As far as the meals go, I like the Smart Ones fetuccini and broccoli. Absolutely hate any Lean Cuisine with a red sauce, such as the cheese ravioli- smells like ammonia.

What are your favorite premade commercial "diet" snacks and meals? Which ones would you not wish on your worst enemy?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Why is whole food sometimes not an option? I cook only on Sunday afternoons and package my meals in screw lid Ziplock containers to take to work. I microwave them just like I would a frozen processed entree.

I snack on almonds (in carefully pre-measured quantities), fruit, and string cheese. I make chocolate muffins with sugar-free devil's food cake mix and canned pumpkin (105 calories each). I have purchased the 100 calorie snack packs of Oreo cookie wafers, but I don't have them very often. And gingersnaps.

Yes, it's hard to change your preferences away from chips, cookies, pizza, ice cream and soda, but you can do it if you want it enough.
  • ambermarlenex
    Options
    i absolutely love Special K fruit crisps, and Kashi granola bars, with dark chocolate and cherries. Don't try the Kashi "peanut butter" bars, eeck! tastes like bird food with a little peanuts in them. yucky. i also absoltly love the tomato (something?) rice cakes! mmm.

not really a diet food, but the Low Sodium chicken noodle soup by Campbells taste like water. nothing more. with some noodles. makes me a little sad inside.

and i would die without crystal light iced tea singles! definitely my go-to drink in the summer. HUGE ice tea fan, and the crystal light is 5 calories a pack, and 750ml? i believe. and tastes exactly like the full sugar. i know, i know, its a sweetener, but its so good in the summer!
  • JessNooch
    JessNooch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually do really like the Crystal Light iced tea- the taste is pretty close to southern sweet tea through some kind of miracle. I tried the Mio-style water flavorers but they taste too chemically.