Before your period!!

Options
Hey ladies...How do you control your bad habits right before your period?? I have always joked about being like a vacuum in the kitchen that week before my period. Now that I am doing something about my weight, I was wondering if any of you could give me advice as to how I can suppress the cravings... Thanks Gals!!

Replies

• Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I allow myself small treats when I have cravings, like 1 truffle from the Godiva store, I tablespoon very sweet marmalade that I basically keep in the fridge for such times. I also have the nature valley trail mix -the mix fruit and nut bars that are extremely sweet and just eat one or two of them .I try to drink tea and add honey inside. Just stay in moderation and do not go tot he supermarket when you are hungry.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Its the hardest time, I am currently just holding out there in a grrrrrr mood so as not to undo my hard work the earlier part of the month.
    :explode:
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I know, I usually get hungry before as well, but for some reason this month, the hunger kicked in as my period started! I usually leave a few calories at the end of the day for my treats, or some chocolate, which is what I usually crave. It keeps me sane :)
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Since i'm on bc (ortho cyclen) my cravings are less severe but I don't deprive myself of my occasional cravings. This time it was chocolate and tyson's hot wings. lol i try to stay within my calories and if I dont but I have the right energy then I do workout when I can.
    It's too easy to get carried away around placebo time.
  • ashkinlaw
    ashkinlaw Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually give in to the cravings during that time. I feel like I deserve it for what I am about to endure. Haha. I just try to burn those extra calories with a little extra exercise.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to maintain(not actually trying to maintain I just don't like the cut calories) n if I'm having a bad day I get to eat up to my estimated maintenance goal or slightly over, I try to work out to counter it. usually helps with the crabby/crampy feelings too. good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Get one of those big cups with a lid and a straw and drink tons of water. The straw encourages drinking and makes it easier to suck down tons of liquid. The water takes the edge off cravings, keeps you full and hydrated and gives you something to consume mindlessly. I drink 2-3 times as much water now as I did before I got my cup. :drinker:
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We call it "locust mode" in our household :)

It's hard to keep up good habits. I find that being forgiving of myself is the most important thing. I will also allow myself one or two moderate indulgences -- my pre-period food is French fries, so I will either make some at home or allow myself a kid's size fast food fries to quell the craving.

I drink lots of water, as some other posters have suggested.

If I'm feeling really crappy, I just do what I can, try to stay out of the kitchen -- even if it means taking a book or journal and getting out of the house (I work from home most of the time) -- and try to remember that a few days a month won't undo all the good I do for myself the other 25-28 days.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Luckily I only get one intense craving for chocolate so I give in and feel like crap after that which prevents more cravings.
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    Great thread. OMG - what a coincidence. I just started a thread "Do you still track on days that you eat A LOT" because today I've gone way over (almost 600) my calories today. Thanks to the MFP folks who responded because it encouraged me to still track today. And normally when I "fall off the wagon" I don't.

I was wondering why I have been pigging out all day and I just realized I'm supposed to get my period tomorrow or Saturday. No wonder. And yes, I always binge right before! I don't know what to do about it...
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great thread. OMG - what a coincidence. I just started a thread "Do you still track on days that you eat A LOT" because today I've gone way over (almost 600) my calories today. Thanks to the MFP folks who responded because it encouraged me to still track today. And normally when I "fall off the wagon" I don't.

I was wondering why I have been pigging out all day and I just realized I'm supposed to get my period tomorrow or Saturday. No wonder. And yes, I always binge right before! I don't know what to do about it...

I've tried to fight it and every time I do the cravings get worse so I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to fight the cravings anymore and if I have to just eat that good stuff in moderation or just be prepared to walk myself over to my elliptical and work it off. lol